[3830] CQ160 CW AB9H Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Feb 1 00:37:31 EST 2005

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: AB9H
Operator(s): AB9H
Station: AB9H

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: EN62da
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 400  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 6  Total Score = 48,256

Hi,
I really needed to read a comment from AC6DD,to get inspired and to put few
words on my own! What a roller-coaster! After a spending time and effort to put
my shunt feed tower to work, with newly installed varriable vaccum
capacitor,motorized, Jennings UCSL-1000,  so tunning was completely done from
the shack - without trips outside into a snow. Burying as much radials into a
snow before contest, as much my city lot will allow to do, and with nice
beginning, with almost 240 qso in first 2 1/2 hrs!Nice feeling  with working
DL3TD at 02.48 then SN7Q at 02.49 , everything had looked perfect as it could
be!  Then little slow-down, but piccking up again with CT9M at 04.42 and PJ2T at
04.43, I have expected that it would be a nice and pleasurable contest! But,
then crash! Everything got screwed up! Noise level rose to 40 over S-9! I put
all available filters on my TS-2000X to work but nothing! Dead like a mummy!
just barrely have made another 160 qso-s till end of the contest! As a
passionate as I could be, I tryed to get thru the contest mostly calling,  and
thinking, hopefuly  that it will be comming back! But nothing! Only after
contest, I have checked my e-mail, and bingo! Messages from several ham-s
telling me that my signal was fine but that I could have some receiving problem!
Spend a day today walking thru the alley and observing and listenning power
lines immediately in a back of my house! And bingo! Suddenly with just a little
of a wind, isolator on the utility pole just above power line transformer have
started arcing! What a relief! At least I am sure now, that my antenna project,
and a radio are OK! To solve problem will need a time to get Com-ED people to
fix their part ! But this time I want to say to everyone whom, if I have caused
QRM, or did not answer call, I am very sorry, and will look forward to work you
next time!
73 Joe AB9H