[3830] NA Sprint CW N3BB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 13 06:58:52 EST 2005

                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: N3BB
Operator(s): N3BB
Station: N3BB

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: TX

   80:   99       1
   40:  109       3
   20:  105       2
---------------------

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Team: Austin Powers

Comments:

One of my poorest Sprints.  I apologize for getting bolloxed up many times.  Had
a good first hour (my best ever) but a terrible second hour almost forced me to
consider giving up.  While I continued, my spirit was pretty well shot.
I need to spend in-depth preparation time and improve my ability to use TR and
end up in the correct "states."  Only a fairly good 80 meter last hour got me
over 300 QSOs.

Congrats to the great operators who make this event the classic it is, and best
single operating event on ham radio.

The bands were quiet.  Signals were loud.

Comments and notes:

*RTTY QRM was terrific on 40.  The worst ever.  I certainly hope the two
organizing groups can get on different weekends.  It took me a while to realize
that a lot of the 40 meter Sprint action would be on 7020 and lower!  It was
useless to operate above 7030.  RTTY ruled.

*My SO2R skill are wofully poor. Was able to change bands a lot and CQ on the
inactive radio for the first hour, and then it all seemed to disintegrate.

*I have got to deal with 40-to-20 RFI and poor RF isolation here.  Will need to
consider coaxial stubs.

*Mults seemed way down in this one.  I worked every mult I heard.  No VE other
than VE3s.  No DX other than a V31.  It would seem that we could get some one on
from AR as there are good ops there.  Tnx to several who put their states on as
sole ops.  From mind WQ5L (MS), KZ5D (LA), NY1S (ME), K1KD (VT), W4OC (SC), K4NO
(AL), N4ZR (WV), KL7WV (AK), W0BH (KS), K4FXN (KY), and others I may have
missed.

*I had lots of TR-related problems.  Need to get all these straight.  Was not
able to call people properly on the inactive radios, as the program was not in
the correct mode once I called them, and the resulting confusion when I tried to
complete my portion of the contact was LID-itis all the way.  Also, I was not
able to see the dupe sheet on the inactive radio so was not able to tell if a
station was needed or not.  I called a lot of people who told me "QSO" and I
apologize.  All are my cockpit errors, and need to fix them.  I apologize for my
poor operating.

*Compounding all this was a weird problem with one of my bencher paddles, and it
decided its setting for the dits was too close and sent "lotsa" dits improperly
when I tried to send things by hand.  It was like the thing went completely mad
all of a sudden.  I finally got up and got some tools and adjusted the darn
thing in the middle of the Sprint.

* Will take some time to get prepared properly.  I thought that I was OK this
time but it was my worst Sprint ever.