[3830] RTTY WPX W1ECT SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 14 15:28:19 EST 2005

                    CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: W1ECT
Operator(s): W1ECT
Station: W1ECT

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Hanover, NH
Operating Time (hrs):

   80:  100   274
   40:  145   606
   20:  267   605
   15:  238   607
   10:   17    42
-----------------
Total:  767  2134  Prefixes = 383  Total Score = 815,188

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Friday:  I made the decision to participate at the last minute thinking that it
would be fun to put in a few hours and hand out some points.  Things seemed to
be moving pretty slowing so I just stayed on for one hour logging only 26
QSOs.

Saturday:  Got back on at 10:30 AM (1530Z) and found that conditions were quite
good on 15m with lots of European stations coming through.  20m was good as well
so I spent most of the day swapping between 20m and 15m with an occasional
glance at 10m.  Later on conditions didn’t seem too good on 40m and the
crowding/QRM made things unpleasant as usual - I only stayed for an hour and a
half with less than 50 QSOs. In most RTTY contests I find myself wondering why
more people don’t spend some time on 80m - last year I only had 9 QSOs on this
band.  This year there was a lot of activity on 80m and I had 20 QSOs in a half
hour with about half of them being European.  At 0000z I switched back to 20m
and managed to add R1ANF to the log, a pleasant surprise.  I then settled in to
call CQ and found I was in the midst of an opening to JA and it was nice to add
those new multipliers to the log (the highlight of this run was a call from
BA5TT).  Then before going to bed I switched back to 80m for an hour to add
another 60 QSOs.

Sunday: Sunday was pretty much of a mirror image of Saturday but I had much
better luck on 40m and brought my sorry totals on that band up quite a bit.  The
high point of the day was being called by HZ1IK on 15m at 2100z.

Needless to say sometime during the day on Saturday I changed my mindset from
just handing out a few QSOs to a more serious point of view.  I initially
thought that a goal of 250 prefixes would be about right but as I approached
this point the good conditions just encouraged me to go for more.  As the end of
the contest neared I noticed that I was just a few points shy of 600 on 40m,
20m, and 15m so my final goal was to fix this ‘problem’ and to also bring my QSO
total on 80m to 100.

New ones for DXCC: 9Y4, BY, HZ, R1ANF (S. Shetlands)