[3830] ARRLDX CW W4ZV SOSB/160 HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 20 18:58:47 EST 2005

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W4ZV
Operator(s): W4ZV
Station: W4ZV

Class: SOSB/160 HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  254    63  Total Score = 48,006

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I decided to leave 10 meters until the next cycle.  160 conditions were not the
best but I managed to beat my previous best from 1997.  The first night W1-3
clearly had the advantage and what propagation we got was very high angle.
Conditions were much better the second night with some very strong signals from
UA and UR.  Strangely the most western part of Europe (i.e. England) was never
very strong.  Does anyone know what DL3YM was using?  He was head and shoulders
above all other DL's the first night.  Missed ZL and VK but we had a nice short
opening to JA Sunday morning and I logged 13.  This was the best JA opening in a
contest since I left Colorado...hopefully a taste of things to come.

Thanks to all for the QSO's and for pulling me out of the noise.  I decided to
have a little fun on 20 meters using my 2.5 ounce ATS-3 on Sunday and logged 29
stations running about 4 watts to a 190' wire up 85'.  If you worked me,
congrats on your good ears!  Here's a picture of the ATS-3 in an Altoids tin:

http://www.ae5x.com/ats3.html

73,  Bill  W4ZV

P.S.  160 rig was an Orion, 1.5 kW, 3-element vertical array, inverted-V up 100'
and 8 Beverages.