[3830] ARRLDX CW W8AV SOAB(A) HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 21 06:17:27 EST 2005

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W8AV
Operator(s): W8AV
Station: W8AV

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: OH

Total: 1719   438  Total Score = 2,258,766

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Because of operator scheduling conflicts, decided to do a SOAB this time,
something I had not done in many years.  Had fun but also had my share of
problems.  First, the 15m ring rotator was frozen for much of Saturday, so I
could not turn the top beam.  CAlled CQ to EU with the low antenna and called
southern mults using the top antenna hoping I could be heard. Good thing that
the DX I worked had good ears!  The rotator finally thawed out on Saturday
afternoon allowing me to have a rotatable antenna once again on the band.

Secondly, lost a power supply in the 20m 930 on Sunday afternoon which
necessitated moving the 80 meter radio to the band and cobbling something
together to allow me to get on 80 with the 40 meter radio  (we lost another 930
power supply on the 15 meter radio during CQ).  Oh well, off to the doctor it
goes.

Signals I heard on 160 were pretty good, although not as loud as they were about
a week or two ago on the band.  Would have probably  gotten that GI on Sunday
evening, but did not want to waste the last 45 minutes of the contest sitting in
a huge pileup.

73............de Goose, W8AV