[3830] ARRLDX CW W1WEF SOAB HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 21 09:30:47 EST 2005

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W1WEF
Operator(s): W1WEF
Station: W1WEF

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: ct

Total: 1313   267  Total Score = 1,051,713

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Started on 40 and sat on 7002.  50 Qs, twenty min into the contest, but every
signal was like pulling teeth...puny weak with QRM that sounded like BPL from
recordings I'd heard.   When I finally moved higher in the band, I realized why
I managed to get a low end freq to myself !  The "BPL" type noise wasn't there
higher in the band. After those first twenty min my rate fell apart. Looking at
last year's 150  first hour on 40, I was going to be lucky to have a hundred
hour.

Three hours into the contest, great signals on 80 and 160, but I just wasn't
enjoying it. I hadn't "stockpiled" my sleep, but instead had a couple poor
nite's sleep Wed and Thurs, and couldn't nap Fri afternoon. Not sure what it was
, but just didn't feel like contesting this weekend. Hope I haven't got the N2NT
"Contest Shock Syndrome" (you gotta be a longtime reader of NCJ to know what
that's about!)

Got a good nite's sleep Fri night. More than normal. Did some running in the
morning on 20 and 15, caught a few...very few ...Q's on ten, and decided to go
to my grandson's hockey game. He was playing in the next town and my sister and
brother in law would be there. After the game we went out for ice cream, and I
got home late afternoon. Operated a bit, but opted for another good night's
sleep.

Decided to shoot for at least a meg for the club score, but just didn't feel
like sticking with it. I was planning on going to an RV show on Monday, but with
a snowstorm coming, decided I may as well go Sunday, even though I was at only
800K. Wasn't in the mood for S&Ping for mults, so at 10AM decided to go to the
show.  On the way home from the show,stopped for a visit with my sister and
brother in law, and headed home from their house in Vernon Ct at about 4PM.
Listened on the way home to K1IR on 40, barreling in,despite the fact I was
using the Hustler with the 20M coil. Knowing that Jim had a killer antenna, and
probably had worked the band out,  whoever was operating had a decent rate, just
signing "TEST K1IR". That got me interested again, and I figured I could catch
the last two hours and maybe still reach  my million point goal.   Found a hole
around 7014, and was practically new meat on the band. I only had 150 Qs on 40
before I left, so I generated alot of interest. At times there were so many
calling I could only go back to partial calls. The 250 hz filter and attenuator
helped.  The rate went over 200 for a while...I was having fun again!

By 2300Z I had my 1M, and 40 started to fade. I spent a little time S&Ping for
mults , but quit early having made my goal. Hope I can be more enthused about
the next contest I enter seriously!
                  JACK W1WEF
START-OF-LOG: 2.0

CREATED-BY: CT Version 10.02.003

CALLSIGN: W1WEF

NAME: Jack Schuster

ADDRESS: 408 Thompson St

ADDRESS: Glastonbury

ADDRESS: CT

ADDRESS: 06033

ADDRESS: USA

CLUB: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

CLAIMED-SCORE: 1051713

CONTEST: ARRL-DX-CW     Operating time: 13.2 hours