[3830] ARRLDX CW DL1IAO(@DF0CG) SOAB HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 21 18:51:48 EST 2005

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: DL1IAO
Operator(s): DL1IAO
Station: DF0CG

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: JO31CQ

Total: 2846   264  Total Score = 2,254,032

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

TS870 & FT1000D (2nd RX) + PA, Writelog v10.52F on HP Omnibook XE3 (P3/700)

(160) DP @30m
 (80) DP @28m
 (40) 3el KLM @33m
 (20) 5/5 @30/18m (ca.)
 (15) 5/5 @34/25m (ca.) on a windmill tower (still cannot believe this one)
 (10) 5el Yagi @30m (broken)

* All of the above - with the exception of 10m - are fixed to NA.

 (RX) 160m Beverage (did not seem to work 2nd night - propagation?)

*** Many thanks to Markus/DJ7EO, Peter/DB6JG and Thorsten/DO1ET for having me at
their impressive station, and for wiring up a lot of hardware (both in- and
outside) for just a one weekend Guest-Op entry! ***

The expected operator was Ben/DL6FBL but he could not make it for the weekend.
When Ben and Markus invited me to jump in I got really excited about inspecting
and firing up this site for a DX contest, and meeting the people who make it
happen.

Apart from operating I was amazed seeing all the solid engineering and work
going into the place, and for sure I will never forget climbing up *inside* the
windmill tower holding up the 15m stack.

The contest had a couple of unexpected moments and was a lot of fun to operate.
Markus, Peter and Thorsten would regularly show up in the shack to see how I´m
doing or to keep me excited.  40m was a dead band for most of the first night,
so things started out unexpectedly slow.  Also, the first (ca.) 2000 Q´s always
seem to come real quick in this contest, but then it´s a struggle from DL.
However, Ben had indicated that 15m will be special and it was just like that.
Although trying constantly and hard I fell back with multipliers on 10m.  One
could argue that this must be due to the broken 10m Yagi, but I probably simply
missed the best minutes of the opening.  Price to pay for sticking with 1 radio
this time.  Well, I do favour the idea that the opening possibly peaked better
elsewhere...

There were some minor hardware-associated issues which probably let me sound
like a LID a few times, but too minor to seriously affect the score or level of
fun.  One of them was my incompetence of setting up the PTT switching fast
enough so I would not constantly miss the first letter of the other station´s
call.

Thanks for calling in and congratulations in advance to some outstanding scores
from EU.

Check out  http://www.dl1iao.com/  for full story and pictures in a few days.

73,

Stefan DL1IAO