[3830] ARRLDX CW PJ2T M/M HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Feb 23 06:05:56 EST 2005

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: PJ2T
Operator(s): RA1AIP, N1ZZ, N7DD, N8BJQ, W8TK, WA9S, W9EFL, W0CG
Station: PJ2T

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Netherlands Antilles

   80: 1074    57
   40: 1726    59
   20: 2032    59
   15: 1918    59
   10: 1541    58
-------------------
Total: 9051   351  Total Score = 9,530,703

Club: Caribbean Contesting Consortium

Comments:

Our crew kept growing as the contest approached, so we decided pretty much at
the last minute to go M/M rather than M/2. With band conditions as they are,
four stations were enough -- there were a few brief periods when we could have
used a fifth station, but we don't think we lost much ground by not having
one.

It was a special thrill to have Alex, RA1AIP, on our crew. He and Olga arrived
on the 747 from Amsterdam less than three hours prior to the beginning of the
contest, and after dealing with the massive customs and baggage lines, and
checking into his hotel, it was 23:40 when we finally got him to the station. He
sat down at the 20 meter position after a massive 36 hours of traveling from St.
Petersburg, with zero station and software familiarization time, and proceeded
to operate many hours, including a first hour on 20 of 232 QSOs. After that he
went back to the hotel to sleep, only to come back an hour later, preferring to
operate. He was a wonderful addition to our crew.

It was also excellent to have W9EFL, one of the founders of this club group,
back on the island after a long period of fighting illnesses, as well as WA9S,
who has been unable to be here for a couple of years because of work pressures.
We also enjoyed having N8BJQ (retired WPX Contest Director) and his XYL Barb at
the QTH for a week of warm weather and radio fun, N1ZZ (West Mountain Radio)
back for a title defense, and W8TK, who came all the way from Tucson and has
provided much of the PJ2T equipment. N7DD, a new guest at PJ2T, rounded out the
group, also making the long trip from Tucson.

Sometimes things just go right. Band conditions were unexpectedly good, with
quiet low band conditions both nights, at least by South America standards. We
spun off 632 QSOs in the first hour, definitely a good sign, and almost that
many in the second. The commercial power stayed on all 48 hours. Internet
connectivity was good, and there were zero hardware problems for the entire 48
hours. All of the weather and propagation problems that nailed us in both CQWW
contests were absent this time.

Thanks again to all the CCC members who make this operation possible. Putting
up, and keeping up a large station on the DX side is a huge undertaking, and it
wouldn't happen without an organized, persistent, unrelenting group effort. What
a thrill it is to sit here in 85 degree weather and gape at the palm trees,
turquoise water, and SCUBA boats right outside the shack window while we run the
contest pileups.

Thanks for the Q's. See you as an M/2 entry (really) in the SSB portion.

   73,

       - Geoff, W0CG (PJ2DX)