[3830] ARRLDX CW G4BUO SOAB HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Feb 23 16:39:33 EST 2005

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: G4BUO
Operator(s): G4BUO
Station: G4BUO

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Penshurst, England

Total: 2684   268  Total Score = 2,157,936

After a great first night on topband, I thought that the downside would be no
propagation on 10m so I was delighted to make 35 Qs and 17 mults on 10m on
Saturday afternoon. No opening at that time on Sunday, but just as it was
starting to get dark 10m surprised me by opening again and giving another 113
Qs. Amazing!

Used CTWIN for the first time and once I got the hang of its support for two
radio operation and the two check partial windows, it worked really well. As the
bin file grew in size, the keying (on LPT) suffered from occasional slurring.
This seemed very like the problem I have had with Writelog but on Sunday
afternoon with more time to experiment, I concluded it was being affected by the
Javaw runtime. My experiments eventually froze the machine (W98SE) and I had to
log nine Qs on paper while rebooting.

Following the reboot the keying behaved perfectly through to the end of the
contest. I've made a note always to reboot before using ctwin in a serious CW
contest, and also to be careful what other Windows applications I load.

Ten-Tec Omni D + Ten-Tec Titan
Yaesu FT1000MP + Dentron MLA2500
Tennadyne T8 up 73ft
40m 4-square