[3830] ARRLDX CW G6PZ M/S HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Feb 24 08:26:48 EST 2005

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: G6PZ
Operator(s): M0CLW M0DXR
Station: G6PZ

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Somerset

Total: 1901   226  Total Score = 1,288,200

Club: G6PZ Contest Group

Comments:

Rigs/Amps: 1/ Ten-Tec Orion + Acom 2000 [run]
           2/ FT-1000MP MkV + Acom 2000 [mult]

Antennas : [160m] full-size loop
           [ 80m] delta loop
           [ 40m] 2el 'shorty-40' @ 95ft
           [ 20m] 4el SteppIR tribander @ 85ft / 7el X7 tribander @ 90ft
           [ 15m] 4el SteppIR tribander @ 85ft / 7el X7 tribander @ 90ft
           [ 10m] 4el SteppIR tribander @ 85ft / 7el X7 tribander @ 90ft

Well, what started as a "two man" M/S effort (very last minute) soon turned into
a single-op effort by myself. Unfortunately, Mark M0DXR had to leave early
Saturday afternoon and as a result, I seriously lacked motivation and decided it
was "just for fun". And, fun it definitely was!

Conditions seemed rather good especially on LF. Worked a number of west coast
stations well after sunrise on 40m, the last of which was worked at 11:30z
Sunday morning, some four hours after sunrise.

I had a very pleasant opening to west coast on 80m first night, and I'm aware
that there were a few guys who called that I could not hear - sorry. We
currently lack receive antennas (although we are working on that).

Top band yielded some 9/10 states in 5 minutes, which was quite exciting. The
full-size loop really works on TX, but again, no RX antennas at the current
time. I'm sure I missed a couple as a result.

Had a couple of frequency "fights"... I just ended up QSYing as I could not be
bothered "fighting it out". Guys, get a grip, and *find* a frequency like the
rest of us have to!

I had to leave early Sunday afternoon, too, due to the 180 mile drive back home,
necessary to be up early for college and work. I am led to believe I missed a
nice 10m opening on Sunday just before dark - typical!

We used the Win-Test logging program, written by Olivier F5MZN. This is an
absolutely fantastic piece of contest logging software, and I will definitely be
using it in the sideband leg of the contest. I really recommend it - support
offered by Larry F6FVY is truly outstanding, too. Kudos guys! Everything worked
just great :-)

Thanks to all the stations who called us including those we could not hear. Many
thanks to Paul G6PZ for allowing us to use his brilliant station, and also his
XYL for putting up with us for the weekend as well as keeping us very well
fed!

Listen out for G6PZ in ARRL DX SSB, M/S HP. I'll be operating as G1A, SOSB/20
HP, from the QTH of G4BUO.

See you in just over a week's time.

73,

Simon Pearson, M0CLW