[3830] NAQP RTTY W1ZT Single Op LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 27 08:26:21 EST 2005

                    North American QSO Party, RTTY

Call: W1ZT
Operator(s): W1ZT
Station: W1ZT

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MA

   10:    6     4
-------------------
Total:  530   167  Total Score = 88,510

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Team: SO1R

Comments:

What a blast after being so limited in contest activity in the past year.
Thanks to all who called and to the new entries to the growing RTTY contest
community.  I had some of the highest peak rates of any RTTY contest and a
personal best score for NAQP RTTY.  Still not good enough for the two radio
competitors but I have more fun with one radio.  Overall, it was great fun and
thanks to everyone for the activity and NCJ for their sponsorship.

Team:  SO1R

Icom 756PRO2
Force 12 C4 at 65 ft
80m inverted Vee at 60 ft
WriteLog + RITTY by K6STI

Highlights:  (Arbitrary order)
Thanks to Jack, W0KXZ, for that last few minutes QSY to 80m for the SD mult.  He
had a great signal and 80m really produced the needed mults and Qs not found on
15m and 10m earlier in the contest.

Peak rates were over 130 Q/hr short term as everyone really has improved their
operating skills and exchange procedures.  My best hour was 67 on 80m at 0100z
followed by 65 on 40m at 0300z.  This activity and low noise helped recover from
poor results on 15m and 10m.  I looked and CQd on 10m often but 6 QSOs the first
hour were the only activity I heard.  The band was available.

Two half hour off periods in the middle of the “slow” time was a new experiment
for me and it seemed to work better.  I was off the last hour vs being off the
last two hours in the past.  But maybe the activity was just better overall.
With one radio, it is always a challenge to quickly sample another band while
deciding whether to run or sweep.  With 530 QSOs as my personal best, I have to
think band activity, good signals, and improved operating skills and styles are
the most important contributors to all the fun.

As a native Californian, I was tickled when I read the notes from K6KYJ on his
50th year in ham radio.  I was first licensed as K6KZY in April 1955 so I share
that celebration and was able to comment to him on one of our contacts.  The CA
stations continue to be active in these contests and I was quite surprised to
log NN6NN on 80m at 0100z which had to be before their sunset.  K6LL and N6OJ
showed up in the next 25 minutes so the band and QRN were clearly favorable.

We are “in between” snow storms so I was able to replace my 80m antenna and
repair a broken rotor Thursday and Friday.  20 F temps are fine for antenna work
as long as you don’t stick your tongue on the tower legs.  This sure helped my
80m results.

Lowlights:

Not many.  I am becoming more patient waiting for the SO2R ops to fool around
with their second station while I try to maintain my own rate.  Although some of
the delays were quite comical and I sent an exchange 3 times to one of them, I
have to think they are more frantic so I hope their enjoyment level is OK.

Looking forward to more contesting this year.  The house remodel project
(bathrooms) should be done in another 6 weeks or so.
73, George .. W1ZT