[3830] NAQP RTTY 8P2K(8P6SH) Single Op LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 27 10:14:52 EST 2005

                    North American QSO Party, RTTY

Call: 8P2K
Operator(s): 8P6SH
Station: 8P6SH

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Barbados

Total:  514   188  Total Score = 96,632

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Team:

Comments:

My prepaeration for this contest lasted about a week.

I was motivated to get everything fully organised when I got an email from Don,
AA5AU, who invited me to join a team for the contest.

I had somehow managed to burn out the 10m section on both my bandpass filters a
couple weeks before, and while both Array Solutions and Dunestar were kind
enough to send me some spare capacitors, they were still in the mail somewhere.
So I had to find at least a temporary fix for that problem. I decided the best
thing to do would be to modify the cable from the Top Ten Devices Band Decoders
so that they would automatically by-pass the 10m section of the filters
automatically -- Bad Idea!! Very very bad idea!!

Next was tuning my Force 12 Sigma 40XK to 40m.

Thirdly, I had decided I would do a complete rework of the station layout. My
two Yaesu’s had been stacked during the CQ WPX contest when I used SO2R for the
first time in a major contest. This led to many problems, particularly fatique
when tuning the upper transceiver, and sometimes I’d tune the wrong radio, often
losing my CQ frequency.

Finally there were new 250hz filters to install in the radios.

It started out very well, and in the first hour, I had 64 Q's in the log, mainly
on 10m almost all Q5 and S0. In the second hour, I logged another 90Q's, as I
settled into Cqin on both rigs, one on 15 and the other on 20. Then, somewhere
in hour 3, I was trying to move a mult from 15 to 10, and I think I used ctrl-F1
rather than typing in the frequency - and I think I cycled through a CQ on
15m... because the 10m band was totally dead... and as it turned out, that
transceiver was rendered deaf at that point.

I couldn't be bothered to try to figure out what had happened, so I just pressed
on with the second rig and eventually realised how deaf the affected rig was by
tuning to a local AM broadcaster about a mile away and it was S0!!!

Note to self -- no SO2R without ALL the filters fully functional!!!

Thanks to VO1HP, AA5AU, W4UK who I think were the stations I managed to log on
all five bands.

Congrats to AA5AU on a new record and a great effort.