[3830] CQ160 SSB K7RAT(N6TR) Single Op HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 27 12:18:42 EST 2005

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: K7RAT
Operator(s): N6TR
Station: N6TR

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: OR

Total:  QSOs = 377  State/Prov = 53  Countries = 6  Total Score = 50,327

Club: Boring ARC

Comments:

Very good conditions both evenings - maybe slightly better the first.  Spent
most of my time up above 1950 kHz to get a clear channel to work the weak ones.
Great to see all the activity up on the "150 meter" band.  Brings back memories
when we all used to be squeezed up in the top 25 kHz.  I see I missed AA1K/3 up
on 1998 kHz.  Delaware and Louisiana were the only states I missed.

The concept of a DX window in this contest is a joke.  Either it needs to be
about 20 kHz wide - or just give up on it.

I heard a couple of 7's sharing a frequency - this is a really great concept
that I think makes a lot of sense as the rates die down or when getting a clear
frequency is difficult.

Rig - TS850S - 2 x 3-500z = 1500 watts to an 72 foot tower with a couple of
monobanders on it (5 element 15 at 80 feet, 4 element 20 at 72 feet) - feed with
a gamma match with about 20 quarter wave radials on the ground.  It works
surprisingly well up the band - something that I think gets more complicated
when the antenna gets much taller.  RX with a 750 foot reversible beverage
pointing around 60 degrees.

Just need one more QSO out of the beverage before it comes down for the summer -
the FT8X gang should be QRV in about 3 weeks.  It runs through my wife's horse
pasture and only has approval as a "temporary" antenna.  It will probably be
back up in September - hopefully she won't notice.

It feels like I have operated a contest every weekend so far this year.  NAQP
CW, SSB, CQ 160 CW, CW and SSB Sprints, ARRL DX CW and a part time effort here.
Maybe after next weekend, I'll start cutting back a little!