[3830] NAQP RTTY W6YX M/2 LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 28 11:22:42 EST 2005

                    North American QSO Party, RTTY

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): K6UFO N7MH W6LD KJ9U N6DE
Station: W6YX

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: CA

Total:  971   233  Total Score = 226,243

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

We had a great time and are really pleased that we've broken the M/2 NAQP RTTY
record two years in a row.

Our thanks to all the stations who attempted QSYs for us!  We appreciated the
effort, even if propagation did not allow us to make the attempted QSO.

John W6LD and Mike N7MH arrived at the station early on Saturday morning to try
to locate and fix the problem we've been having for months with the Hygain 205CA
5-el 20m beam.  They found a loose connection on the antenna and fixed it just
before the contest started.  Thanks guys!

I started the contest on 10m while Mark K6UFO started on 15m.  K7SV in VA
answered my ragchew on 10m before the contest with a great 599 signal.  10m was
open; I just wish more stations tried it!  At the expense of 15m rate, Mark
passed me several stations.  It was worth it.  In the first hour, we had 52 QSOs
and 22 mults on 10m.  Texas was shockingly weak on 10m, but from Arkansas to the
east coast, the band was open.  In the end, our 10m mult total by call area was:
W1 (MA, ME), W2 (NY), W3 (MD, PA), W4 (all), W5 (AR, LA, MS, TX), W6 (CA), W8
(MI, OH, WV), VE (NS, QC, ON), DX (8P).

We tried to make things as chaotic as possible for Mark on 15m, but he did a
good job handling the pileups, passing stations to me, coordinating whenever a
new mult was found on 15m, forgiving me for accidentally hot switching his
antenna, and having different requests shouted at him at the same time: let's
work a new multiplier.... no, keep transmitting there and switch to the west
antenna because we just passed KH6GMP to you.... but keep working the stateside
pileup with the other antenna and don't lose your run frequency!

We did not hear VT, DE, MT, NV, ND, and SK.  I was surprised at the number of NA
DX multipliers active.  8P2K, HH4/K2AC, HP1DCP, HR1RMG, KP4JRS, NP4BM, and ZF2NT
made it in the log.  We heard a few CM stations, and noticed some other stations
reported that they worked an XE.  Aside from NA DX, there were also non-NA DX
stations participating: JA, UA0, VR, HC2, ZS, LU, PY, CE, and R1ANF.

All our ops did a great job and had fun.  Thanks to K6UFO for helping with the
setup.  It all worked well.  There was one intermittent problem on our second
station where the PTT would occasionally drop in the middle of a message, but
our MMTTY window in Writelog kept printing the transmit message as if it still
still sending it.  I remember seeing this problem at NN6NN for WPX RTTY, but
still don't know what is causing it.

John KJ9U joined us for the last few hours of the contest.  I called him earlier
in the day and requested a pizza run.  He later arrived with two pizzas from
Amicis (a local pizza restaurant with really good pizza).  John then helped on
80m and found a bunch of new mults.  Oh, and the pizza was devoured within 30
minutes.  Mark brought some unbelievably good cookies.  When desperate for food,
we raided his platter of vegetables until the pizza showed.  :)

Thanks to everyone for all the QSOs!

73...
-Dean - N6DE