[3830] NAQP CW W3DCG Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 9 14:37:12 EST 2005

                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: W3DCG
Operator(s): W3DCG
Station: W3DCG

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA

   20:   16     8
Total:  104    60  Total Score = 6,240

Club: South East Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

Self-done Car repairs, Xmas Decoration put aways, plumbing emergency yet to be
resolved, all contributed to even less participation than I'd anticipated.

Around a quarter after midnight I thought, man, I need to get on 160 even if for
only 10 contacts.  If I can do it at QRP levels and be heard it would be better
than none.  Searched for a way.  Finally, I tried- using the exact same
alligator clip leads I used to interface my straight key to my bared paddle plug
on New Years.  This time they were used to short and load my G5RV coax, Marconi
style.  It got me there for twice as many contactacts as I had hoped.  I was
surprised.  I have not been on 160m since dabbling with NAQP 2 or 3 years ago.
The Alligator leads held up well enought for 60-70W much to my surprise.

I had fun piddling around in the event, short and sweet for me.  First time
with no discernable adverse affect to my computer, being under a foot away from
the coax.  The Contest hysteria energized me enough to realize that I can get on
160 with what is already available.  Good to Weal signal is better than no
signal.  73, and now back to my plumbing crisis...