[3830] NAQP CW N6WG Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 10 12:08:23 EST 2005

                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: N6WG
Operator(s): N6WG
Station: N6WG

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Newark CA

Total:  318   149  Total Score = 47,382

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC #4

Comments:

I had a really fun time with this contest.  Put in the full 10
hours with breaks, and chased everything I could hear.  My results
are the best I've done with this contest so far, beating last year
by 17.5%.  At 47,382 points, I'm closing in on my goal of 50K
points for this contest.
   My worst moment was having ZF2NT answer my CQ on 15m, and suddenly
developing 10 thumbs.  Couldn't type and kept hitting the wrong
buttons to totally confuse TRLOG.  By the time I got straightened
out, he had given up in disgust and moved on.  Never heard him
again.  At least I had worked him on 10m.
   My best experience was working a few east coast stations on 80m.
For 80m I use my 60 ft 40m dipole with tuned feeders.  With only
my 5w output, those stations must have ears like bats.
   I was surprised how thoroughly 10m died.  When I checked it after
some time on 15m and 20m, it was totally devoid of signals.  Not
even one die hard sticking it out.
   My QSOs/mult ratio is pretty consistent from one year to the next.
My best band was 15m with 1.7 QSO/mult, while 10m and 160m were
worst with 2.4 QSO/mult.  This shows that next time I should
spend more time on 15m.  80m, 40m and 20m all came in at 2.1
QSO/mult, so nothing to choose from there.
   The (in)famous WimpyWire antenna system came through for me this
year.  In spite of a heavy rain at times, everything stayed up
and the feedline matches stayed pretty constant.  I still need to
work on a better 80m antenna, as the 40m dipole is not quite
up to the task.  The 10m and 15m Bisquare antennas did a great
job for such simple gain antennas.  The 40m dipole served as two
slightly short halfwaves in phase on 20m and again did pretty well.
The 160m vertical played well too, and when the noise level dropped,
I was able to receive on it as well.
   My 160m Flag loop was a real help on 40m and 80m when my noise level
was high, as I couldn't hear nearly as well on my dipole.
   Thanks to all who stuck with me for a few difficult exchanges.  I
was surprised how few there were this time.
73, Bob N6WG