[3830] NAQP CW K1KD Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jan 11 00:10:06 EST 2005

                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: K1KD
Operator(s): K1KD
Station: K1KD

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: VT

   10:   13     7
-------------------
Total:  471   172  Total Score = 81,012

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

Last year I got burned by writing off 10m and in doing so missed some much
needed band multipliers.  Not wanting to repeat that mistake this year, I
started the contest by running on 15m and passing strong stations to 10m.  I
figured that 10m would be its best at the very beginning of the contest.  While
making only 13 contacts on that band, it produced 7 multipliers which adds up to
a big deal in the end.  In the third hour I realized I was doing too much
multiplier passing which was causing my rate to suffer.  I moved to 20m and
turned on the afterburners.  At 2230z it was time for a half hour break and a
quick dinner.  Back on the air, I worked another half hour on 20m and then
shifted to 40m.  The rate stayed nearly equal to what it had been on 20m the
previous hours.  I guess this means I switched bands at the right time.  Many
thanks to fellow Vermonter, Fran, KM1Z who worked me on 40m and then accepted my
request to QSY to 20m, then 15m, and finally 10m giving a new section on each
band along the way.  Since my antenna for 80m is kinda lousy, I opted to stay
running on 40m a bit longer.  The plan was to then make a quick sweep of 80m to
catch all the band mults that I could snag and then move to 160m.  By 0330z it
was all 160m where nearly every contact was a multiplier.  Near the end, it was
fun watching the score total shoot up with every contact.  With ten minutes
remaining in the contest period my score surpassed the standing VT state record!
 What a thrill!