[3830] NAQP SSB K5PTC(@N1LN) M/2 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 16 07:38:15 EST 2005

                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: K5PTC
Operator(s): N1YXU, N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: TX

  160:   11     7
   10:   54     9
-------------------
Total: 1241   202  Total Score = 250,682

Club: Pesky Texan Contesters

Team:

Comments:

I thought it was time to do something just a bit different for this contest
entry.  So, I asked my XYL, Laurie - N1YXU, if she would be interested in
participating in her second contest. The first (and only other) was a M/M
entry
for this years Texas QSO party.  She said YES.  OK - now to build the rest of
the team.  We then asked another husband/wife Ham couple if they wanted to try

this. The answer was a very quick YES.  The team was built.  Well,
unfortunately
the day before the contest, the husband came down with something that knocked
him off his feet and is still flat on his back in bed, so our team went back
just the 2 of us.  My wife was still game to do some operating so we started.

With one ear/eye on the station to my left we started.  Laurie started on 15
and I started on 10 (and I quickly started with 20 <> 10 QSY process).   Did
she
give herself time to get comfortable by doing some S/P..... NO!!!  She quickly
tuned around, found a frequency and started running.  THEN - I heard the, soon
to be frequent, "please QSY to 14.xxx as we could use you Q on 20" coming from
my left.  While I was on 10 mtrs wearing out the tuning knob - - Laurie was
pushing the rate close to 200.  Had she been secretly off contesting without
me knowing it?? And did she look calm, cool and comfortable in the Op chair!!

It was not our intent to work all 12 hrs so we knocked off for a couple hours
at dinner and then pulled the final switch and totally shut down at 04:30 UTC.

Contesting is not for everyone, but I think for future contests hosted at our
QTH, Laurie will walk into the shack for more reasons other than just to see
how we are doing.  Also, the original plan for the two couple M2 NAQP-SSB is
still out there.

Thanks to all that QSY'd for us, which is a major part of this contest.  Thanks
to those that were patient when asked for repeats.

Look for us next time.

73,
Bruce - N1LN
(K5PTC - Pesky Texan Contesters)

P.S. - If you like QRP / 40 mtr / cw..... look for the Pesky Texan Armadillo
Chase in March.   http://www.w5nc.org/ptac/default.htm