[3830] NAQP SSB KR2Q Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 16 08:01:54 EST 2005

                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: KR2Q
Operator(s): DOUG
Station: KR2Q

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: nj

Total:  238    88  Total Score = 20,944

Club:

Team:

Comments:

What a fun time.  Happened to turn on the rig and...uh oh...forgot about this
one.  Gave out some Q's and started paper logging.  Condx (15) seemed good, so
decided to do something for real.  But no antenna for 10/20/40.  So after the
start of the contest, ran to Radio Shack to buy wire.  All they had was speaker
cable.  Bought some 22 guage and flew home.  Recruited my two teenage girls to
help me.  First had to split the speaker wire (being cheap, I only enough wire
knowing I would split the wire).  Then outside to throw some nylon string over a
tree (only about 30 feet up...good enough).  Found an old W2AU for the center
hanger.  Did a 20m and 40m wire, but it was getting dark fast.  Pulled it up and
then tried to sort out the now tangled wires all hanging straight down and
twisted around the coax.  UGH.  Lowered it down, cut off the 20m wires and
hauled it back up, ran out more string to hold the ends.  Res. freq around 6.8
Mhz...oh well...use a tuner...better than nothing  Lost about 2 hours, but sure
did have fun rushing around and working outside in the dark in below freezing
temperature.  77 Q's and 27 mults on 40 with QRP.  Ahhhhh... ain't contesting
great!