[3830] ARRL Jan VHF N6NB Rover

Overbeck, Wayne woverbeck at Exchange.FULLERTON.EDU
Wed Jan 26 02:37:50 EST 2005

Call                Qs    Q pts   Mults   Score

N6NB/R (+W6XD)    2040    9098    242   2,201,716
N6ZZ/R (+N2IC)    1957    8943    242   2,164,206
N6MU/R (+K2MM)    1937    8900    242   2,153,800

After months of planning, this VHF/UHF expedition to
New Mexico and West Texas went better than we could
have hoped it would.  We drove 1,000 miles during the
contest and activated 22 grid squares.  We were lucky
in many ways:

*A terrific group of seasoned contest operators joined
us and quickly demonstrated why they're so successful
in HF contests.

*The January weather on the high plains was surprisingly
good--mostly clear, with no snow anywhere.  All of the
bad weather bypassed us.

*There were no equipment breakdowns during the contest.

*We were able to span some seemingly impossible paths,
working over high hills and other obstacles on 10 Ghz.
That was thrilling.

On the other hand, conditions were mediocre and activity was
low.  But we worked W5LCC 27 times from seven grid squares,
including Qs on 1296 from five grid squares.  We also worked
K5RHR 15 times (thanks for making Lubbock and Albuquerque
so workable, guys).

73,
Wayne, N6NB