[3830] UKDX RTTY VA7ST Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 30 11:24:43 EST 2005

                    UK DX Contest, RTTY

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

   80:   14   26     2
   40:   30   61     2
   20:   92  196    14
   15:   14   30     5
   10:    1    2     1
------------------------
Total:  151  315    24  Total Score = 7,560

* FT920
* N1MM with MMTTY
* 3-ele tribander at 45'
* 40M delta
* 80M delta

Worked only two G stations; just one was handing out Section info, the other
gave me a serial number only.

A brief EU opening Saturday morning on 20M gave me many of my mults -- worked a
few Fs in a row, then EAs in a bunch, and not a lot else (OH9GIT was very loud
here, with a little flutter).

Went to 10M for a few minutes Sat. afternoon. Called for a while, and managed
only one Q - N3YEA was there with a super signal. That proved the band was open.
Only other station heard was a South American phone operation a teeny bit (300
Khz or so) out of the SSB band. Hardly anyone else using 10 at the time, I
guess.

Saturday evening, 40M seemed OK -- I took a few minutes in the afternoon to
tweak the 40 delta loop, and it felt stronger earlier in the evening than I've
seen from here before. Usually have trouble working anyone till 0300z or later,
but did get a few this time in the late afternoon (0100-0300z).

Sure do appreciate the Inrad cascading 400hz and 250hz filters for the FT920...
I remember life without them, and can't believe the difference in a busy contest
environment. Night and day. These things have really increased operating
enjoyment (and I enjoyed contesting a lot before I installed 'em).

Left the RTTY game just after 0300z to grab a few more 160M CW Qs. Not many new
ones to work, but I stayed on top band for the rest of the evening.

Had fun in my first UKDX RTTY, and hope to do better next time out.