[3830] CQ160 CW K4XU Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 30 12:44:57 EST 2005

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: K4XU
Operator(s): K4XU
Station: K4XU

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: OR

Total:  QSOs = 536  State/Prov = 54  Countries = 11  Total Score = 103,610

Club: codxc

Comments:

What wonderful conditions! I have not had this much on 160m in years. The noise
level was very low here except for locally generated crud from the usual
sources. What made life difficult for me was the horrendous clicks from several
stations. The most egregious by far was KC6DD. On the scope with AGC off, it was
hard to tell if it was his exciter or a homebrew amp running class CE. We should
pass the hat for him so he can get it fixed.

One of my goals was 160m WAS in one weekend. Missed two. You'd think that in 15
hours of operating one could find a station in KY. Nary a peep. I heard a RI
station but he kept moving. No amount of CQing ahead of his travel direction
could snag him. Worked four VE2s and three SC which is quite unusual.

The BA4 on night Saturday peaked at S-8. Called for 20 minutes but the pile was
rather unruly. The JAs got to him before I could. Need to add more radials....

Hope it's this good for ARRL DX.

Gear: Omni 6+, Homebrew solid state 1500W amp (two p-p MOSFETs water-cooled,
will possibly write an article for QEX if any interest), inverted L off 70'
tower. One 300' SE/NW beverage wire on the ground (too many deer/elk running
around to put it in the air - works okay because the soil is VERY dry). 40m
vertical used as noise sense antenna with homebrew null steering.

Dick - k4xu