[3830] CQ160 CW K8IA Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 30 13:32:01 EST 2005

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: K8IA
Operator(s): K8IA
Station: K8IA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: AZ

Total:  QSOs = 584  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 9  Total Score = 94,202

Club: Central Arizona DX Assn

Comments:

IC-765 to Inv V at 70', Inv L (60'X82'), Half Sloper at 65' and K9AY Rx Loops

Cndx noisy hr the first night but nice and quiet the second night. My score is
up about 90 q's and 4 mults from last yr and the only difference is the K9AY
Loops and Inv L, although the L didnt get nearly the use that it did in
December. "Meat" antenna was the half sloper this time, an antenna I put back up
the afternoon of this contest. I am glad I did. Lots more radials under the
tower this yr so maybe that helped the sloper as well.

K9AY loops were employed for rx almost 95% of the time. Looking back, I probably
didnt even need a rx ant switch. Xmit antennas were useless to listen on the
first night. The second night was quieter and I was hearing well on all
antennas.

DX wkd is down this yr, only 9 countries. 13 last yr. Heard a bunch of stuff and
even several Eu, but with 100w its a waste of time to stay in a pile for vy
long. Amazing number of JA's but most were all answering the big guns and not
CQing themselves. Hard to generate much DX intrest at LP CQing. Still managed to
get a dozen JA's in the log but can see where the local big guns may have 100 or
more!

All in all it was another fun contesting time, but sorry to hear some of the big
gun participants out east (W4ZV for one) had ice storm problems!

Thanks to all for the q's!

73, Bob K8IA
nr the Supertition Mts
Arizona USA