[3830] CQ160 CW NA5NM Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 31 22:27:12 EST 2005

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: NA5NM
Operator(s): N2IC, N5IA, NI5L, NA5S,  W7MCO
Station: NA5NM

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: NM in DM52

Total:  QSOs = 1142  State/Prov = 59  Countries = 25  Total Score = 288,960

Club: Cactus Radio Club

Comments:

The conditons from SW New Mexico were not as good as expected and somewhat below
last year's contest and the ARRL 160 in December.  The first night the east
coast did not really show up until 0300 or so.  With no Central Americans in the
contest, few from the Carib and poor prop to EU, our Mult count was 8 less than
last year.

Our team is improving and we had 16 more Q's than last year.  High hour from way
out here was 88.  Low was 6.  We just ran out of stations to work.  We did work
all 50 states and all Canadian Provinces except NWT, YT & LB.

The good guys from the Golden State were again our bread and butter,
contributing 139 Q's to the log.  That is 12.2% of our total.  I doubt any state
has a greater level of participants.  Texas was 2nd with 69 and Washington a
close 3rd with 61.  Would you believe 15 Nevada, 11 Idaho and 4 Wyoming?  Back
east the honors went to Tennessee and Virginia with 30 each.  The single Q
contributors: RI, DC, ND, NB, PEI, & NF.

Highlight was the 92 JA's in the log, a few more than last year.  That is pretty
good from New Mexico.  DX heard but NOT worked was I4, BA4, 9V1, EA8, DL5, OM5,
OK1, CX7, ZS4 and UA6.  With those in the log we would have improved a bit on
the 2004 score.  But sometimes the spotlight just doesn't shine.

Equipment was a pair of FT-1000-MP's which have been de-clicked and roof
filtered.  The Amp was the Alpha 91b that made both the XZ1N and XZ0A trips.
The TX antenna was a 1/4 WL Ground Plane with 2 dozen radials.  RXing was done
exclusively with Beverages which were signal split and separately selectable by
the run and S & P stations.

Thanks for all the contacts, apologies to those we couldn't pull out of the
noise floor, and we hope to have all of you and more in the SSB 'test at the end
of February.  OBTW, any DX reading this post which heard our signal, called us
and we didn't respond?  We just didn't feel LOUD and perhaps it was our hearing
that failed us.

Milt, N5IA
One of the ops at NA5NM