[3830] IARU NK7U(KL9A) SO CW HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jul 10 12:57:51 EDT 2005

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: NK7U
Operator(s): KL9A
Station: NK7U

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: Oregon

  160:     0    0       0
   80:    22    0      10
   40:   257    0      44
   20:   779    0      68
   15:   132    0      35
   10:    10    0       8
---------------------------
Total:  1200    0     165  Total Score = 689,205

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Team:

Comments:

Boy it's too bad this contest wasn't 2 days earlier.  Records would have been
smashed!

Right as things started to pick up and get HAIR ON FIRE STYLE again, I had to
stop.  Went to go to 80m and something was wrong with the relay control box to
switch the beam to CW.  Breakers popped, fuses blew, etc.  Didn't have a backup
antenna that would work on CW.  Pulled the plug at 0422z.  No way to be
competitive with an hour off and no 80m.

The bands sucked.  Worked 95 EU on 20m total.  I imagine only about 15 or so
called me.  Should have had many hundreds of them!  24 EU on 15m.  Heard the
southern W5/6 boyz running EU and JA on 15 and never heard a peep out of either
area.  Worked the JARL HQ for my only 15m JA QSO.  They never even moved the
meter.  Squeaked some 10m q's.  Seems the boyz up in Seattle area had a nice E
opening to CA/AZ, but I never heard it.

40m was really good, lots of EU HQ we normally don't get.  Even had some call me
for a change.  80m was great too!  Heard several EU calling the east coast boyz,
that were for sure workable.  Ah well.

Nice job my the MoJo.  With no 20m EU opening, no chance for me to catch up from
his 15m and 10m advantage.

On the bright side, I didn't have any off time to screw up.

Thanks as always to Joe and Sharon for opening their home to me!

-Chris KL9A