[3830] ARRL June VHF K9GY Single Op Port QRP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jul 12 08:13:20 EDT 2005

                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: K9GY
Operator(s): K9GY
Station: K9GY

Class: Single Op Port QRP
QTH: FM08rp

  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  139    39  Total Score = 6,396

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Nothing like a log submission deadline to get you to enter your paper log into
the computer, hah!

Enjoyed my first real VHF contest! Packed up and headed out to Shenandoah
National Park. Operated from approx 3,600 feet elevation. The view was mainly an
eastern looking view. Was running a little late in getting out to the park so at
1800 I stopped at the closest overlook and N3TKU/r had already found the
location. Slept in the car on Saturday night instead of spending the time to
pitch the tent. Surprisingly no visits from park rangers during my whole time
there.

Had lots of people stop at the overlook to enjoy the views. The Pontiac Firebird
club (or were they Cameros?) gave off tons of engine noise so I was glad when
they left!

A fair amount of people asked me whether I was tracking animals in the park,
hah! One young lady even specified the animal she had wished I was tracking by
asking “are you tracking bears?”

Fun to work other stations that also packed up and went to SNP: K0RAJ at
milepost 16, N3NYC at Loft mountain, and KE4ULW at Big Meadows.

Although the rates aren’t like HF contesting, I still enjoyed the “magic” of
radio and being able to make contacts with QRP. The 440 rubber duck worked
surprisingly well!

Heard VP5/N4VHF on 50.110 at 0055z on 12 June. Seemed like he got the “Y”ankee
but that was about all. Pretty exciting to hear some DX on VHF!

Had to return to DC on Sunday morning so missed the late Sunday Aurora.

Already upgraded to a Cushcraft 3 ele 6 meter beam. So getting ready to head out
to SNP again for this weekend’s CQ VHF contest.

Equip:
Yaesu FT-817
(6m) hamstick type vertical on top of the car
(2m) Arrow 4 ele portable yagi on camera tripod
(440) rubber duck antenna

CQ CONTEST!

Best of health to all,
Eric