[3830] CQWW VHF K9ZO(KX9X) SOAB LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jul 18 14:01:12 EDT 2005

                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: K9ZO
Operator(s): KX9X
Station: K9ZO

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: EN50

Total:  132    65  Total Score = 11,830

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Equip: Icom 706mkII, TE systems 2m brick, 5-el 6m beam
@ 70', Cushcraft 13B2 @ 75'

Conditions were spotty at best. No enhancement to
speak of on Saturday, with the exeption of a very odd
6m opening Saturday night into Quebec. The band just
didn't "sound" right during the opening...stations
were loud, but the audio quality of the stations
worked sounded like they were going through a DSP or
something. Very strange, compressed sound.

Fair enhancement on 2m Sunday morning. 6m opened up
Sunday late morning/early afternoon and worked into
New England and all the way down the east coast until
the North Carolina/South Carolina border. Did work
quite a few SMC'ers, including W9SZ! First time in
quite a while I've worked him in a VHF contest.

The rates were nothing to write home about, so Ralph &
I did what you usually do during a VHF contest; we
read ham radio books and mags, I got to see some
photos of his recent operation in V3, discussed QSL
methods, talked about computer logging, planned our
next DXpedition (K9ZO/9G and KX9X/9G in 2006, baby!),
and ate a lot of food.

Didn't realize until about an hour before the contest
started that there's no seperation between barefoot
and high-power operation in this contest. They have a
QRP category, but nothing to seperate the ampless from
the kilowatts. Guess we'll have to find a big amp next
time.

Thanks to Ralph and Connie; their hospitality was
great, as always. Sure is nice of Ralph to offer me a
place to put in a serious effort in a contest, since
I'm living in an apartment these days. The comeraderie
is what SMC is all about.

Thanks for the QSO's.

73,

Sean