[3830] ARRL June VHF K8MR Single Op LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jun 13 12:44:11 EDT 2005

                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: K8MR
Operator(s): K8MR
Station: K8MR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EN91 - OH

  903:    0     0
  1.2:    3     1
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  361   148  Total Score = 64,380

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

A basic observation of mine is that the contests that are the most fun are the
ones you go into having no idea of what to expect.  In this case I was half way
through with no idea of what to expect, but I ended up having a lot of fun.

The first part was pretty bad - no significant tropo, and only 4 Es qsos to very
isolated parts (one each in EM50, EL17, DM80, and EM14).  After a Sunday
afternoon break I was about to head outside to do some yard work, but checked
the radio first, and found the aurora!

At first it seemed there were mostly loud stations with whom I had already
struggled to eke out a tropo qso, but pretty soon I got past that barrier. I had
often listened on aurora sessions and wondered what it would be like with a good
aurora during a contest, and now I know!

I worked stuff as far south as EM/FMx5 on six. I heard but did not work W0SD on
two (he was calling somebody), but did work as far west as K0HA in EN10 on six.
I had a real nice run on 50117 CW.

It was neat working a lot of HF contester friends. I don't know if they are
really into VHF, or just checking out the six meter button on their 756PROs, but
I hope they'll be back. I'm also now looking forward to W3LPL becoming VHF M/M
powerhouse!

We still lack local rovers here in Ohio. As a result I missed 4 mults in ajacent
grids, and a bunch more within 150 miles. I made a small effort to find a rover
partner for the weekend which would have got me back to the cool QTH at High
Hill, OH (EM99, which I missed completely), among other places, but no luck.
Maybe in September.

Interestingly my score is almost identical to my June 2004 score of
352/147/64,092. Maybe I have found my limit?

73 - Jim  K8MR