[3830] ARRL June VHF K8GP Multi-Op HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sat Jun 18 16:21:17 EDT 2005

                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: K8GP
Operator(s): K1HTV, K1RA, K1TR, W3ZZ, K3CB, K3MM, K3SX, KC3WD, W4XP, NW5E, K8ISK
Station: K8GP

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: Spruce Knob, WV

    6: 1049   137
  1.2:   78    31
  2.3:   40    18
  3.4:   31    14
  5.7:   22    11
  10G:  265    11
  24G:    5     1
-------------------
Total: 2427   447  Total Score = 1,601,154

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Not included in the form: 47G 3/1  75G 2/1  LASER 8/1

Our reasonable luck transporting school buses designed to run on flat ground up
steep, unpaved mountain roads finally ran out this time. Brake and tire problems
almost did us in before we even got started. We finally got all buses to Spruce
Knob a day late but the set up was quite fast considering that we were using a
new 2 meter antenna system. We had an unusual number of equipment failures as
well but Terry K8ISK and Owen K3CB managed to beat Mr. Murphy into some
semblance of submission.

Gary NW5E joined us on 6 meters only to find E-skip essentially non-existent
from FM08. He and Rich K1HTV still managed to break a longstanding
northeastern barrier, the 1000 Q mark, by working 1049 contacts. A reasonable
but not great aurora enlivened Sunday afternoon. Two meters [K3MM, K1RA & KC3WD]
and especially 222 [W4XP & K3SX] benefited.  Ed K1TR did his usual fine job on
432 of moving stations up to the microwaves. W3ZZ, K3CB and K8ISK ran the
microwaves. We were reduced to 100 watts on 1296 instead of the usual 600 watts
and had a few preamp problems but otherwise did pretty well

Activity was not bad, particularly during the aurora. This area suffered from a
minimal effort from Brian ND3F who had vehicle problems but the W3IY/ON4IY/R
team did its usual splendid job. Other local rover activity was down somewhat
but Jim K3LFO/R was a new and welcome addition in a big way. Overall this was a
good contest as June usually is.