[3830] CQ160 SSB W1CTN Single Op LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Mar 1 19:57:09 EST 2005

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: W1CTN
Operator(s): W1CTN
Station: W1CTN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CT

Total:  QSOs = 381  State/Prov = 52  Countries = 13  Total Score = 58,045

Station Description:

FT1000mp Mk5 @ 100 watts
1/4 wave inverted L - 45' vertical section x 30 ~100' radials
No receive antennas.

I could not put a longer effort in this year. We have a large remodeling project
underway that eats up not only my time, but my stamina. Friday night was an
early night, off the air at 0400 zulu. Saturday night into Sunday morning was my
longest "time in the chair".

I didn't find great openings to Europe and my best DX was D4B. But I did have
the time of my 160 meter life with small pileups from the West Coast and W7. To
be a low power op, with a wet noodle inverted L and have those stations call me
was just wonderful. I was parked up in the "nose bleed" section of the band,
1965 kHz when that happened. I even had an EI station call me there and he was
in full daylight !!

I had planned to erect a 160 meter cage inverted L to improve my bandwidth but
just could not find the time. I used an external Collins surplus tuner I picked
up on Ebay to keep the antenna tuned. The Collins tuner is just a switchable L,
but it did the job. Maybe next year I will have the cage erected and be able to
go from the bottom to the top of the band without retuning.

I don't use the FT1000mp Mk 5 internal tuner as it seems to act up from time to
time.

The CQ 160 contest, both SSB and CW are great to operate. I really enjoy the
challenges top band provides. It still is a gentleman's band, 90% of the
stations I worked ended the exchange with 73 and good luck.

Maybe next year I can double my airtime and hopefully my score. Still need KL7
for 160 WAS.

Thanks for all the QSO's
CUAGN on Top Band...

73