[3830] ARRLDX CW WT1T(@K1TWF) M/S HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Mar 3 00:12:34 EST 2005

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: WT1T
Operator(s): K1TWF, WO1N
Station: K1TWF

Class: M/S HP
QTH: EMA

   20: 1011    89
   15: 1005    92
Total: 3120   408  Total Score = 3,802,968

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Rig : FT1000D, Alpha 89
Antennas : 4 EL SteppIR at 60',40-2CD at 65',2-Phased verticles for 80M,
Shunt fed tower for 160M

 Soapbox : Last December while on top of K1TWFs barn/tower combo we endured a
snow squall and 30 MPH gusts as we attempted to bolt the big 4-EL SteppIR to his
mast while it was dangling from the tram line rope. At the time, I said to
myself "boy am I crazy", but I also said to myself "I'll bet this antenna kicks
butt".

 We survived that experience and we were looking forward to the ARRL DX CW as
the first combat conditions test. TWF put a ton of work into his station this
fall and he was anxious to see how it would perform, too. We planned out a two
man, one radio Multi-Single a few nights before the test using some of our past
years efforts as guidelines to set some goals. We felt 3K Qs and 400 mults
should be achievable at this point in the sunspot cycle.

 We opened on 40M with a 77 hour but by hour 2 40 only produced 45Qs, we
probably should have been on 80M then. 2 hrs on 80 yielded a 57 and 51 hour
respectively. Another sequence of suboptimal band changes where we went to 40
but probably should have stayed on 80. 40M finally recovered at 0800Z for a 57
hour.

 As the late night op I was trying to emphasize running and avoided 160M
(probably another mistake by the sounds of it). When 40 finally dried up I swept
80 and 40 then went to 20M at 0942Z. I'm told I missed a 20M opening around
0800Z. I was watching the spots go by and could see the big guns spotting stuff,
but I never expected that 20M would be "open" so early. At any rate I made one
CQ and honest-to-god it felt like the world opened up on me!
The SteppIR rocks! I made 41Qs in 18 minutes followed by a 127 hr and then a 143
hr manned by K1TWF, our best hour in day one. That was great!

 We started the 2nd day with 1801Q's in the log. Some highlights, a 72hr on 80M
at 0500Z, 69hr on 40M 0700Z. Our move to 20M was even earlier but it never came
close to producing the Q's like the first night. Our best hours were 114Q/hr for
both 1200Z and 1300Z on 15M. We had some fun working mults on 10M, but no rate
could be generated. A hightlight for me was having a YB2 stop buy while I was
running on 20M high up in the band the 2nd day.

 We are pleased with our effort...SteppIR awesome, N1MM awesome. Bring on SSB
(groan...)

Ken
WO1N
Team TWF