[3830] ARRLDX SSB K0HW SOAB LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 6 18:59:21 EST 2005

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K0HW
Operator(s): K0HW
Station: K0HW

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: SD

  160:    2     2
Total:  306   152  Total Score = 139,536

Wow, a lot tougher than I had planed in this one. I made about 140 QSOs less
than last year.  I missed the first 5 1/2 hours due to another planned activity
with the XYL.  When I got started only 40, 80 and 160 were going strong.  I
heard OO4UN on 80/75 and tried calling but his rcv freq was 3839 and 3840 is a
very active frequency at that time of night.  After I called him a couple times
he never came back and I never heard John the rest of the contest.  Saturday
night was tough on the low bands with lots of QRN.  About 1900Z Saturday my
rotator quit turning clockwise so it ended up pointed NW.  I climbed the tower
to clean the connector on the TailTwister and it did not help.  When I fix the
rotator that connector is going to get removed and it will be hard wired.

I only worked one station on all 6 bands, PJ2T my contact # 210 at 0135Z
Sunday.
It is really had to work the SE when the beam is NW but by using my wire
antennas I was able to scratch out a quite a few.

It is hard to believe I have started to like the CW part if this contest better
than the SSB one.  I could not get any answers when I tried to call CQ.  It was
hard enough to find a clear frequency to use and I only had two stations call me
in over an hour of calling.  It was great to find 10 meters open at times but no
EU or JA heard there.  I would like to have found YI9VCQ - Korey in Iraq.  He is
in the same location as my Son - Martin and is helping get my Son more
interested in Ham Radio.

ICOM 756PROII, Writelog, TH11DX, Dipoles and a 1440' Horizontial loop about 25'
high.