[3830] ARRLDX SSB W2ID(@W2XL) SOAB HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 6 22:03:43 EST 2005

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W2ID
Operator(s): W2ID
Station: W2XL

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: NY
Operating Time (hrs):

Total: 1116   301  Total Score = 1,006,845

Many thanks to W2XL for letting me do a single op from his extremely nicely
equipped and now completely tune-up-free station. Equipment reliability was 100%
- - not a single glitch of any kind!  The matching pair of Pro 2's (one mine)
handled the poor conditions very nicely on the receive side, even battling some
intermittent power line fuzz and the horrendous S9+25dB low band QRN Saturday
night. However, the propagation gods were not smiling much this weekend, and so,
alas, there was often nobody to hear!

As is often the case in SSB contests, I was very disappointed with the quality
of transmit audio of many DX stations. I'm waiting for somebody to publish an
article that conveys the concept that turning the mic gain UP and turning the
compressor UP (and thus increasing your bandwidth) only increases your
intelligibility to a certain point, after which it then starts to drastically
DECREASE intelligibility. I wonder if sending recordings of the misguided
offenders would help any. One station I heard on 15M was audible across 13 kHz
of spectrum at one point Sunday afternoon. Yet, despite being one of the loudest
signals on the band, I heard numerous people asking for repeats on his call.  It
seems that every time I finish a phone contest lately, I give serious
consideration to giving up the mic altogether in favor of the key...