[3830] ARRLDX SSB K4XS SOSB/40 HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 7 07:02:40 EST 2005

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K4XS
Operator(s): K4XS
Station: K4XS

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: FL

Total:  515    87  Total Score = 134,415

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Went full bore the first night and the last QSO was around 1230Z.  The total QSO
total was down 29 QSOs and mults were up by 3 from last years effort on 40 after
the first night.  I hoped to catch up on QSOs with a good sunset run into
Europe.......wrong!  Like everyone else I found the low bands riddled with
intense QRN/static crashes.  After most CQs I could hear guys calling, but just
couldn't pull complete calls through.  Once in a while a nice strong one would
call, I'd get pumped and think the conditions were improving and then be
disappointed again.

After having a miserable 2200Z hour of 16 and the first part of a 2300Z hour
shaping up the same way, with no improvement in sight, I pulled the plug around
2315Z.  I decided listening to 10 over 9 static crashes was not something I
wanted to do for until 1200Z the next morning.  It sounded too much like 160
summertime conditions in FL.  I came back in about 45 minutes before the end of
the contest and found conditions had improved a little and actually had some fun
running.

Congrats to the guys at the MMs who humped it out all night on 40!  Hours of 2,
9 and 5 are really hard to stay pumped for.

See you all as my alter-ego WK4R in WPX.