[3830] ARRLDX SSB K5TR(WM5R) SOSB/15 HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 7 15:01:15 EST 2005

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K5TR
Operator(s): WM5R
Station: K5TR

Class: SOSB/15 HP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:    0     0
   80:    0     0
   40:    0     0
   20:    0     0
   15: 1405   121
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total: 1405   121  Total Score = 495,495

Station K5TR:
 * Kenwood TS-850SAT
 * Alpha 78
 * Four element Cushcraft yagi, 20' boom at 70', rotatable
 * Three element Telrex yagi, 17' boom at 30', fixed SE
 * Ameritron RCS-8V antenna switch
 * Heil Proset Plus with rubber band boom mod
 * W9XT Contest Card
 * TR Log 6.78

George invited me out to his station again to do a single
operator effort.  I had spent the previous week travelling
on business, and returned to Austin late Thursday night
very tired.  I decided to focus on a single band effort
rather than push myself beyond my limits.  15 meters seemed
like the most promising band, and it turned out to be a
really fun weekend!

Things started out really well with a 113 hour to mostly
Japan, but also the Philippines, Australia, New Zealand,
Indonesia, Hawaii, and Hong Kong.  ZK2HA called in for a
very cool new multiplier, as well.  I also worked
Mexico and a couple of South American stations before the
band closed.  I found ZK1JD for another nice multiplier
after the band had closed to Japan, and I was able to
work Australians and Kiwis until pretty late - my last
contact of the local evening was to Australia at 0508 UTC.

Saturday local morning started off with a lot of searching
and pouncing on new multipliers.  Right away, I started
filling in my list of Caribbean and South American
multipliers.  The first trans-Atlantic QSO was with a
station on the Madeira Islands at 1247 UTC, but it was
quickly followed by not one but two stations in Niger
running small pileups not far apart from each other on
the band.  The first European was a Slovakian at 1251 UTC,
followed pretty quickly by Germany, Spain, Poland, and the
Czech Republic all before 1300 UTC.

Most of the 1300 UTC hour was still search and pounce, and
the times I'd try to call CQ and get a run going were
unproductive.  I did pick up a lot of mults, though,
including as far away as European Russia, the Ukraine, and
Greece. My first really good run of the morning was in the
1400 UTC hour, but even that was hard.  There was so much
QRM that when I found a good spot to call CQ and began
getting a good run going, I would inevitably begin to get
crowded out by W1/W2/W3/W4 stations.  I had at least four
different run frequencies during the European opening.

My best DX during the opening were a station in the United
Arab Emirates, one in Saudi Arabia, and one in Tanzania.
The 1500 and 1600 UTC hours were less productive for me,
and it felt like every QSO was a struggle because of the
QRM.  R1ANF called in from the South Shetland Islands
during the 1600 UTC hour for a great multiplier.  By the
1700 UTC hour, I had found a better run frequency with less
QRM, and things picked up again, although by now I was mostly
working central and western Europeans with only the occasional
eastern European station calling in.  Cyprus was a nice
multiplier to pick up at 1726 UTC.  Another great multiplier
to work was a station on Mauritius at 1809 UTC.

Things slowed down after the 1700 UTC hour, but I continued
to work plenty of Europeans well into the 2000 UTC hour.  The
last new European QSO was a Finn at 2105 UTC, although I
continued to hear some Europeans calling CQ for almost another
hour.  Most of the 2000 and 2100 UTC hours were spent working
the Caribbean and South America, picking up several new
multipliers such as EM1HO in Antarctica.  The rain static
got bad on the top antenna around this time, but didn't
last for very long, thankfully.

The Japanese run began a little earlier than I was expecting
with the first QSO in the log at 2209 UTC.  One of the first
Japanese callers was actually a JD1 on Ogasawara for a nice
new multiplier.  Stations on Papua New Guinea and New Caledonia
also called in around this time.  Unlike the night before, the
best I could do to Japan was an 80 hour in the 0100 UTC clock
hour, but I had over four hours of good propagation to East
Asia.  I picked up only a few new multipliers like the
Marianas Islands, Korea, Singapore, the People's Republic
of China, and the Marshall Islands.  I never did work Guam,
Asiatic Russia, Mongolia, Taiwan, or Alaska.  The Japanese
run fizzled out around 0230 UTC, after which all I worked was
Australia and New Zealand.  My last four QSOs of the evening were
all with New Zealand stations, and the last one was at 0357 UTC.

Sunday morning I woke up still needing a few obvious multipliers
like South Africa, Puerto Rico, and the Bahamas.  South Africa
turned out not to be a problem, as I worked six ZS stations
in a matter of 17 minutes!  I knew Europe would be no
problem on Sunday when I worked two Europeans before 1300 UTC, and
another 17 new ones in the 1400 UTC hour (as well as hearing many,
many I had worked the day before calling CQ.)  The European run
was not quite as deep as Saturday, but in many ways was nicer,
as there was a lot less QRM from the East Coast and I was able to
maintain a clean run frequency for a long time without being
hassled.  In addition to all the European stations I was working,
SU9NC called in during the 1500 UTC hour for a great new
multiplier!  The propagation was very similar to Saturday - I was
hearing stations (most of whom I had already worked the day before)
as deep as European Russia and Israel, and I was working every part
of Europe from Norway to Bulgaria to Spain and everywhere in
between.  I did miss Lithuania, though.  If I hadn't already had
so many stations in the log from Saturday, I think my rate on
Sunday would have been better than the day before.  The final
European in the log was a CT1 at 1850 UTC.

The rest of the contest was sucking wind.  Even though I had
another two hours of propagation to Japan at the very end, the
number of stations on the air local Monday morning in Japan is
pretty slim.  Most of the last six hours was spent waiting for
new stations to show up in the Caribbean and South America.  I
did break one large pileup for a new multiplier when I found
KH8SI during a search and pounce pass through the band with
a lot of stations already calling.  (Actually, the first thing
I heard was some W/VE station lecturing to the pileup about
using their receivers...  I had to wait a little bit to hear
the station send a callsign.)

I think 15 meters was a great band to choose for a single band
effort this weekend.  I had a lot of fun running JAs, and it
was great to see Japan accounting for over 1/4 of the contacts
in my log.  I was also pleasantly surprised at how many ZL and
VK stations I worked - 70 in total.  That's not bad at all from
two countries that together have a population comparable to that
of Texas.  I made one Australian very happy - I was his first
ever contact with the USA!  (His only antenna was an 80 meter
dipole five meters off the ground.)

I had a lot of fun.  I thought the conditions were great for
this point in the solar cycle.

  HOUR   15SSB   TOTAL   ACCUM
  ----  ------   -----   -----
    0     113     113     113
    1      43      43     156
    2      11      11     167
    3       6       6     173
    4       6       6     179
    5       2       2     181
    6       0       0     181
    7       0       0     181
    8       0       0     181
    9       0       0     181
   10       0       0     181
   11       0       0     181
   12      22      22     203
   13      34      34     237
   14     105     105     342
   15      77      77     419
   16      66      66     485
   17      92      92     577
   18      75      75     652
   19      57      57     709
   20      27      27     736
   21      16      16     752
   22      54      54     806
   23      64      64     870

    0      63      63     933
    1      80      80    1013
    2      42      42    1055
    3      12      12    1067
    4       0       0    1067
    5       0       0    1067
    6       0       0    1067
    7       0       0    1067
    8       0       0    1067
    9       0       0    1067
   10       0       0    1067
   11       0       0    1067
   12       9       9    1076
   13      25      25    1101
   14      34      34    1135
   15      65      65    1200
   16      88      88    1288
   17      36      36    1324
   18      25      25    1349
   19      14      14    1363
   20       7       7    1370
   21       6       6    1376
   22      15      15    1391
   23      14      14    1405

  TOTAL  1405

Continental Distribution

  N.A. calls  =    57
  S.A. calls  =    69
  Euro calls  =   734
  Afrc calls  =    29
  Asia calls  =    28
  JA calls    =   367
  Ocen calls  =   121

  Total calls =  1405

Multipliers Worked

3B9     C6      EA8     G       HZ      KP4     P2      TF      VP2V    ZK1/S
4X      CE      EA9     GD      I       LA      P4      TG      VP5     ZK2
5B      CE9     EI      GI      IS      LU      PA      TI      VP8/H   ZL
5H      CM      ER      GM      J3      LX      PJ2     TU      VP9     ZS
5U      CN      ES      GU      J6      LZ      PJ7     UA      VR
6Y      CT      EU      GW      J8      OA      PY      UA2     XE
8P      CT3     F       HA      JA      OE      S5      UR      YB
8R      CU      FG      HB      JD/O    OH      S9      V3      YL
9A      CX      FJ      HI      KG4     OH0     SM      V4      YN
9V      DL      FK      HK      KH0     OK      SP      V5      YO
9Y      DU      FM      HL      KH6     OM      SU      V7      YU
A6      EA      FR      HP      KH8     ON      SV      VK      YV
BY      EA6     FY      HR      KP2     OZ      T9      VP2M    ZF