[3830] ARRLDX SSB W8MJ SOAB HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 7 20:39:59 EST 2005

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W8MJ
Operator(s): W8MJ
Station: W8MJ

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: MI

Total: 1121   314  Total Score = 1,055,982

Club: Mad River Radio Club

I was not able to put in a full time effort.  Operated about 70% of the time.
Conditions on Saturday were very good from here in the Midwest.  15 Meters was
the band to be on Saturday, it just kept playing.  I enjoy the time I had to
operate.  Was please with the mults on 40, 80, and 160.  My 40 Beam broke just
before Sweepstakes back in November, so I did not have the use of it, just
Dipoles, for 40, and 80.  On 160 while the tower is shunt fed, I lack the real
estate for a very good beverage setup.  All in all I am very pleased with the
outcome.  Less Q's then last year, but 33 more multipliers compared to last
year, and yet a better score.

Bands Sweeps:

V47KP, PJ2T, PJ4G, FY5KE, VP5B, WP2Z, P40W, and TI5A.  Also, had a lot of 4 band
sweeps to numerous to mention.  I would like to congratulate all the operaters
of the DXepeditons that took the time to give your call in between exchanges
with the stations you work.  A class operation by all those that took the time
to do that.  Those mentioned above, as well as the many others that did.  To
those that continued to QRZ, and work 6 -12 stations before giving out your
call, you have a lot to learn about contest operating.  You may think you worked
a lot of stations by not given out your call after every exchange, but compare
your score to the teams mentioned above, and see how you did.  Also, stop and
think how many stations continued to scan pass your frequency, because they
became frustrated by your operation.  There were a number of times that I spent
waiting for the call to be given out, and when I would finally dump my call in
to work the station, I sense the opearting station was extremely upset with
having to give out his call.  Bottom line, if you want to run with the big dogs,
you need to get with the program, and do it right.  Even small operations like
FS/KT8X with 500 watts output know how to run a class DXexpedition operation.  I
can tell you this much, there were many stations I kept tunning pass, because
they kept QRZding, instead of given there call out.  At the end of the day when
it is all said, and done, you need to step up to the table.

To all those that answered my CQ's thank you for the calls.  To all those that
took the time to pull me out of the pileups, thanks for hearing my call.

Until the next one.

73's Ken W8MJ