[3830] ARRLDX SSB VO1MX SOAB HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Mar 8 19:40:50 EST 2005

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: VO1MX
Operator(s): VO1MX
Station: VO1MX

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Newfoundland

   20: 1166    81
   15:  400    67
   10:    2     2
-------------------
Total: 2330   290  Total Score = 2,025,360

Club: East Coast Canada Contest Club

Comments:

First and foremost I must thank Dave, VO1AU, for allowing me to operate from his
station this past weekend. Secondly I must thank the members of RATS for helping
Dave make the number two tower vertical again on Thursday after noon while I
worked away at my day job here in Gander.

My weekend actually started on Thursday evening with a 3 ½ hour drive to St.
John’s from here in central Newfoundland. That decision turned out to be a wise
one as on Friday approximately 60 centimeters of snow fell in the St. John’s
area in about 8 hours.

It was lightly snowing in the morning Friday when I dropped by Gus’, VO1MP,
house for coffee and a visit. Three hours later after staying for lunch there
were snow drifts about 40 cm deep in the driveway as I was trying to leave for
the 20 minute drive to Dave’s. About an hour later I arrived to find Dave using
his snow thrower to clean the snow that had fallen up to that point.

This kind of weather and amount of snow is not unusual for us here in
Newfoundland in March it’s just funny that environment Canada had predicted
light snow with accumulations around 10-12 cm’s.

Anyway this was my first serious effort at single op. contesting and I had a
blast, it’s just too bad conditions weren’t that great on Sunday. I had some
good pile ups on 20, 40 and 80 early on and managed a few q’s on 160 as well. 10
meters, well as you can see from my numbers it was very quiet when I chose to
listen there.

Thanks to all that called me and I look forward to the next one.

73,

Dan
VO1MX