[3830] ARRLDX SSB VP9/W6PH(@VP9GE) SOAB LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Mar 9 19:58:39 EST 2005

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: VP9/W6PH
Operator(s): W6PH
Station: VP9GE

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Bermuda

   20: 1263    58
Total: 3588   286  Total Score = 3,078,504

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Equipment:  TS-940S, NelTec DVK-100, CT 9.57
Antennas:  160M: Inverted L (50ft vertical, 70ft horizontal)
           80/40M: Cushcraft MA8040V
           20-10M: Cushcraft A4S @ 25ft
Biggest thrill of the weekend was the 10M opening on Sunday to the northeast.
It felt like a sporadic-E opening.  I was able to move back and forth between
21278 and 28463 making people aware of the opening.  On Saturday, I had less
than 5 stations in the 10M log and not a single W4 in the 15M log.  Sunday made
up for that.  Signals were either S9 or S0.  Friday night was pretty decent on
the low bands but Saturday was very noisy and I quit at 10 pm as QSO production
was low and the static crashes covered up call signs.  Many 6 band QSOs as a
result of the 10M band opening.  Twenty meters dried up early and I finished the
contest on 40M which I have never done in the past.  I wish more people
would use their state name instead of the phonetic initials.  For someone who is
a native English speaker, the state name is easier to pull out of QRM than the
two letter phonetics.  (We have quite a thread going on the YCCC Reflector about
this issue.)  And again I want to thank VP9GE for his hospitality.  The antennas
keep improving each time I go there.  A great contest from my perspective.
Kurt, W6PH