[3830] OkQP K5YAA Rover LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 13 23:21:00 EST 2005

                    Oklahoma QSO Party

Call: K5YAA
Operator(s): K5YAA
Station: K5YAA

Class: Rover LP
QTH: OK

  160:    0      0      0
   80:    0      0      0
   40:   67      3      0
   20:  571    135
   15:   31      3      0
   10:    0      0      0
    6:    0      0      0
----------------------------
Total:  669    141      0  Mults = 50  Total Score = 114,450

Club: Oklahoma DX Association

Comments:

First - thanks to all the ops who took time to follow us from the western most
part of the state on Saturday and some of the closer to home counties on Sunday.
 I have worked quite a few of the various state QSO parties and know the effort
it takes to "fill" the log so the time is much appreciated.

Second - a special thanks to my XYL K5YAB who did all the driving again this
year.  If I had to drive and send CW with my bug I'm afraid I'd be on the side
of the road or straddling the yellow lines like much of the roadkill we saw.

Problems -

1.  The 40 meter antenna developed high SWR Saturday evening forcing me to stay
with 20 thru the last 4 counties we came thru.  I was told 40 was in great shape
so sorry to have missed the time there.

2.  Even though I made the list of county abbreviations a few years back I made
an error sending HARPER as HAR (HARMON) for the roughly 25 Qs made in that
county and sending GRA for GRANT which should have been GNT.  Only the first few
were sent as GRA.  Thanks to K4AQ for catching me on both of those.  I do all
the log checking so will make corrections to the multipliers of stations I
worked in those two counties.  Like one of my bureau helpers said to me one time
when he made a mistake - "I must remember to take my medication".

Enjoyed the mobiling again this year.  To my surprise worked more DX this year
than in the past.  DL3GA, OK1KT and I4IKW were as strong as the US the times
they called in.  LY3BA and RK2FWA had surprising signals from eastern Europe.
Thanks to the many DL, HA, OM and other stations that took time to work us and
for the many Canadians who called.  Sorry if I missed your calls.  There are
some places with power lines on both sides of the road that generate S9 noise.

Many US stations I could name that seemed to be everywhere we showed up.  Those
subtle SSB and 15 blips were almost timed perfectly after a 20 meter CW rush.
Thanks too for the spotting stations.

We were mobile in the following counties:

Saturday
CIM - Cimarron
TEX - Texas
BEA - Beaver
HRP - Harper (Alias YAA HAR Bummer)
ELL - Ellis
WDW - Woodward
MAJ - Major
WOO - Woods
ALF - Alfalfa
GNT - Grant (Alias YAA GRA also Bummer)
GAR - Garfield
KIN - Kingfisher
LOG - Logan
PAY - Payne
NOB - Noble
PAW - Pawnee
TUL - Tulsa
ROG - Rogers

Sunday
ROG - Rogers
WAG - Wagoner
MAY - Mayes
CRA - Craig
NOW - Nowata

Had more planned for Sunday but after that Saturday jaunt got going later than
planned.  The best layed plans of mice and men and the gaining age of the op.

Mobile gear used:

3 hamstiks 15, 20 and 40 meters on the roof of a Dodge Caravan.  The hamstiks
with wind combating guy ropes for the single mag mount 15 and 20 meter stiks
cause too many stares to keep them installed all year so I generally mobile only
a couple of days a year.

Dual antenna switches inside - one for RT selection one for antenna to use.

Two radios not set up as true SO2R.
TS850 for CW - Marine Battery powered
ICOM 706 MKII for SSB - Vehicle powered

Vibroplex Bug - My excuse for the short and long 5s Hs Ss Is and Es!  Never
learned to use a keyer.  True to a comment once made by a local Okie ham (at
least ten years my junior) - "You really are an Old Timer"  - or maybe it's Old
Goat as pointed out by an old goat ham down in Georgia.

Paper logging.  I'm know K3ZO and many others relate to that kind of ham radio!
Harkens back to the 60's and early 70's.  Not bad as long as you keep plenty of
pencils to replace the ones that get lost during pit stops and railroad
crossings.

Best 73 es thanks again for the time and all the Qs.
K5YAA