[3830] WPX SSB NK4A(N4PN) SOAB LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 27 22:23:18 EST 2005

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: NK4A
Operator(s): N4PN
Station: N4PN

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: GA

   20: 1128

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Thought it was going to be a ruff weekend when I saw the "numbers". Also, while
checking out which band to start on, I got into a QSO with KB5YZZ who had to
tell me about all the bad things with contesting. He suggested I just get my
phonebook out and just call everyone in order and give them a 59! After going
thru all of the why's we "nuts" contest it was too late to do much checking and

started out on 20m which was not good. Logged that one contact, which was a
struggle and headed down to 15m which was better. At the end of the first six
minutes, I had a total of 2 Q's....this is going to be a bad weekend.

But, at the end of the first hour was all the way up to 77 Q's. Second hour I
was really stepping it up....83 Q's. Didn't do much damage to the rate meter as
about the best I ever noticed was in the 80's....lots of S/P but that netted a
lot of mults..

Storms hit here with plenty of lightning at 9pm local on Saturday...shut down
for a nap but the weather didn't let up and could not get back on until 8am
on Sunday...so much for planning the 12 hours off time.
I don't know how those that operate constantly with LP do it...and those that
operate QRP will surely have a special place in heaven.

I must have spent a total of 20 minutes all together calling ST2T and two
different YI stations, all weekend, with no results...Spent way too much time
calling a ZR2 on 10m on Sunday with no results either...

Some good surprises tho...worked JU1DX for my QSO #88 and then JT1CO for my #90
on 20m! Think the "guns" were pointing some other direction as I got JT1CO on
the first call...

Some of the better ones that I did get thru to were: 9K2HN, 8Q7DV, VQ9LA, 4L8A,
TZ9A & 9M2TO (called me LP over Eu while I was working a DL).

I doubt that HA80IARU, EI05CCC, 5B/ON7TL/m will ever be "right" again. I think
M2W has the answer. Also, all of those OE-Five-Zero stations...

Worked NQ4I and YW4M on all six bands...got AC0W and N7TT on 5 bands...

First contact with that KB5YZZ was a new prefix (of course) and the last
contact with WM7N was also a new prefix....

Thanks to all!! This is one fun contest....as noted by someone in the soapbox
that when Europe dies for us here on the east coast, just turn the antenna
toward the West and continue.

Rig: Pair of FT1000MP's
Ant: TH-5, Alpha-Delta 40/80, Inverted Vee for 160m.
     80-10 Vertical

73, Paul, N4PN