[3830] WPX SSB ES5TV SOSB20 HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 28 08:45:11 EST 2005

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: ES5TV
Operator(s): ES5TV
Station: ES5TV

Class: SOSB20 HP
QTH: Jogeva

   20: 2582

Club: Tartu Contest Team

Comments:

Unfortunately 2 of my 80m verticals fell down in the storm a week ago and had to
change SOAB to monoband. Well, between 20 and 40 it was easy to choose as I did
not feel like a 36-hour frequency fight on this 60khz piece of band plus some EU
guys have an adventage now being allowed to transmit above 7100...

Anyway looks like I just managed to escape a serious beating by LY2TA from OH0Z
in SOAB:)

I was determined to do SO2R as just acting like a CQ machine for 36 hours was
not too attractive thought. So put up a low dipole into the forest about 150
meters from the main tower for second radio antenna. And it was working.
Depending on were I was beaming the noise was from 54 to 58 so quite possible to
work especially stronger stations.

Those few hundred 2nd radio QSOs were huge score advantage as many mults were
found and also made the contest much more interesting. WPX is a very good
contest for this setup as you don't have to have a very good second antenna to
work DX as multipliers can as well be from EU plus they are strong enough to
stick out from the noise.

Quite happy with the QSO count which is almost as much as in SOAB last year and
even more mults! Look forward to scores of my closest competitors - OH0R and
OH8NC.

Conditions to US were quite marginal, still 470 US QSOs. Several guys were very
weak and I was astonished myself when I finally got the call and number right
and confirmed by the whisper of "roger roger". 150 JAs worked and 1500 EU.

I think that next time I will start to write down the calls of those guys who
just pop into your frequency and start CQ without any QRL?. This is a very
arrogant behaviour. They might move after you ask but still sometimes they get
instant answers and just carry on hoping that they managed to steal it..

I don't know why but for some reason this very often happens with HGxx contest
stations. There are many very good and polite ops in HA but some just don't seem
to have it in them...

I also notice that Italian stations often call you by the last two. I don't know
who taught them so. In no pile-up situation and quiet band. Why?? This sometimes
wastes time of 2 QSOs. It was funny that several times I guessed the call of the
station from the master.dat by the last two checking IK??XZ or IZ??XZ. Well, I
guess they are still wondering how I knew;))

EL1LL was a call difficult to believe first, but supposedly right. Great to hear
EL after long time.

73
tonno
es5tv