[3830] WPX SSB PJ2T M/2 HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 28 18:38:45 EST 2005

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: PJ2T
Operator(s): DL2SAX, DK3DM, DF7ZS, DL8OBQ, DK9VZ, W0CG
Station: PJ2T

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Netherlands Antilles

   40: 1272
   20: 2330
   15: 2413

Club: BCC + CCC

Comments:

It was a special pleasure to welcome Harald (DL2SAX), Heiko (DK3DM), Helmut
(DF7ZS) and his XYL Annette, Uli (DL8OBQ), and Wolfgang (DK9VZ) and his XYL
Sabine to CCC's PJ2T club station. They're superb, hard-working operators, and
we're very happy to count them as new friends.

This was the first large-scale multi effort in WPX from PJ2T. The first night
was miserable, with a wall of noise (S9, with bursts to 20 over) on 75 and 160,
even when listening on our normally quiet Beverages. But we hung in on 40, even
in the wretched noise and QRM, because most of the night our Multi/2 had become
a Multi/1, with 40 the only usable band. Finally the high band opening arrived
Saturday morning and the contest took off with good (but not great) rates, to
include an opening to the U.S. on 10 which arrived finally at 11:30 local. The
best hour of the contest was the 16Z hour on Saturday on 15 and 10.

The second night was almost as bad -- I heard many Europeans between 3650 and
3700 CQing with S9 to 10 over 9 signals, but we were not being heard at all in
Europe at that time. U.S. runs on 75 were also disappointing. Still, we
persevered on 40 with the 107 foot high yagi, not having much fun but sticking
with it. 160 was an almost complete disaster, with only 20 QSOs with
high-profile U.S. stations and zero multipliers.

Multipliers were tough to find, but runs to Europe on roughly 14.120 both days
saved us, as virtually every third QSO was a new one.... We also made good use
of the dual yagis, especially on 15, mixing European and North American QSOs
almost one for one for several hours both days.

Thanks again to the Germans for a superb effort, coming a very long distance to
operate at PJ2T. (DL2SAX came just for the weekend (!) and had to leave four
hours before the contest was even over!) And as always, many thanks to the
members of the Caribbean Contesting Consortium who continue to support this club
QTH and keep the PJ9JT legacy on the air.

Thanks for the Qs.

  73 de Geoff, W0CG, PJ2DX