[3830] NeQP K0HW/M Mobile LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun May 1 21:50:12 EDT 2005

                    Nebraska QSO Party

Call: K0HW/M
Operator(s): K0HW
Station: K0HW

Class: Mobile LP
QTH: NE Mobile

Total:  362  Mults = 247  Total Score = 179,628

Nebraska QSO Party Summary  K0HW/M

I tried this contest again this year as a mobile in Nebraska.  I had such a good
time last year operating from 14 counties and making contact with 277 hams in 47
multipliers that I thought it would be fun to try it again.

This year I think the rules changed for mobile stations operating from Nebraska.
 As I read the rules it mentions that the mobile stations multiply their QSOs by
the multipliers for each county.  I wrote to the contest manager and the reply
back was that it was only on a per county basis that it works that way so it is
not possible to keep a running total of all multipliers worked in each county.

Just for the fun of it I am including the score figured that way along with the
way I figured it last year and as a comparison the way the rules say it must be
figured.

I operated in 16 counties this year and I will list a summary of them.
I used my ICOM IC-706MKIIG, an assortment of mobile masts with quick connect
mounts, a 4 magnet mount on the top of my 1994 Mazda pickup, paper logs and a
tape recorder.

I operated on 20, 40 and 75 meters with the capability to work on 6, 2, 10 and
15 meters but I could not find any stations there that were active on the
Nebraska QSO Party.  I also had planned to operate on CW and RTTY with the
computer in the mobile but the switching power supply that I was using to power
the computer was causing to much QRM that I didn't try it after the QSO Party
started.  I also found enough activity on SSB that the other modes would have
probably slowed me down.

I did try the CW and RTTY out in the mobile making a contact in the FL QSO Party
on CW and one on RTTY in the SP RTTY Contest.  I could not get my Writelog to
work with my KAM interface so I would have to paper log the contacts using
Winrtty on the computer with the KAM.

The weather was great, with no rain this year and the sun was out most of the
time.  I didn't run into any detours in Nebraska at all on the route I was on.
I did drive by my turn once so I had to backtrack about 6 miles but with the
tape recorder running I was able to make the most of it with more contacts in
that county.

The tape recorder worked okay for logging as I was driving except for having to
remember to mention the time of day and the frequency I was on.  During the
second half of my trip the rig got into the recorder so the portion where I was
talking was somewhat garbled but I was able to get it all down on paper.  I will
have to check it for RF the next time I use it.  The tape recorder quit on me as
I was transferring it to paper so I will have to remember to take a backup next
time.  As I think about it I should have had a backup rig also but it was not
needed.

In Pierce County I ran the recorder to the end of the tape and I had operated
for 3 minutes before I noticed it.  I probably missed between 3 and 10 contacts
due to this problem in Pierce County and I will send in this information with my
logs.

In Madison County, which is Norfolk, NE I tried to operate, but the QRM was well
over S-9 everywhere I parked so I passed it by without any QSOs.

Down Southwest of Fremont I wanted to stop in and see the contest station
(KC0SVS) at the QTH of NW0L.  I found it okay with the help of a little talk in
on 2 meters.  I spent about an hour and a half to two hours there looking over
the station, visiting with Lance and Carl and then ended the visit at the end of
the driveway working the contacts from Saunders County.  I will probably try to
operate from the contest station of Fremont Area Radio Transmitting Society in
the near future.  I may try the IARU contest in July from that location, as
there is not much Nebraska activity in that contest.

I had wanted to operate until Midnight local time but at 10 PM I was in Wahoo,
NE and I just could not drive any longer.  I found a nice motel and cashed in
for the night and was back on the road again by 6 AM.  There are not many
stations to be found at that time of the day looking for Nebraska QSO Party
contacts on any band so it was slow for the next 2 hours.  I heard N0UNL
(University of Nebraska at Lincoln) on quite a bit on 75, 40 and 20 meters but
they could not hear me when I tried to call them.

I ended the contest up in Knox County, just across the county line a couple of
miles from Antelope County.  I had about 8 minutes left when I got there and
made 13 contacts to finish the Nebraska QSO Party.

Here is a summary of my results:

362 total Contacts, 59 total different Multipliers consisting of 45 states other
than Nebraska, 4 Canadian Provinces, 6 Countries other than USA and Canada and 4
Nebraska Counties.

If I add my total multiplier cumulative from all 16 counties it is 247
multipliers.  If I base my score on this it would be:

362 * 247 * 2 (Power Multiplier less than 150 watts) = 178,828 + 800 (16 County
Bonus of 50 each) = 179,628 Points.

If I multiply the QSOs by the different multiplier like last year the total
is:

(362 * 59 * 2) + 800 = 43,516 Points

If I tally the way the score sheet for mobiles is set up the total is:

13,556 Points

Here is my County by County Tally:

County           QSOs         Multipliers         Total Points

Dixon            15           13                    440
Cedar            46           30                  2,810
Wayne            43           26                  2,286
Pierce           10            8                    210
Stanton          18           14                    554
Cuming           25           16                    850
Colfax           19           16                    658
Dodge            28           16                    946
Saunders         21           12                    554
Butler           12            9                    266
Polk             27           14                    806
Nance            16           15                    530
Platte           19           15                    620
Boone            21           14                    638
Antelope         29           17                  1,036
Knox             13           12                    362

Total           362          247                 13,556

I have not moved my paper logs to the computer yet so there may be errors and
corrections that will need to be made but this is a rough idea on my results in
the Nebraska QSO Party 2005.

Thanks to all those stations that found me mobile in Nebraska.

Jim

K0HW/M