[3830] N8LXR Mobile - MidAtlantic QSO Party

MORSENUT@aol.com MORSENUT at aol.com
Tue May 17 14:08:39 EDT 2005

Hi all,

Here is my score for the 2005 Mid-Atlantic QSO Party which was held May  14th
and 15th.

Entry Class:  Mobile

Total QSOs =  311

CW  =          118 x 2  =  236 QSO points
SSB/FM =    156 x 1 =  156 QSO points
Mobile =         37 x 3 =  111  QSO points

Total QSO points = 503

Multipliers:  90

503 QSO points X 90 multipliers = 45,270 = Final Score

I worked 40 states, 4 Canadian provinces, 45 Mid-Atlantic counties, and
several DX stations for the count of 1 DX multiplier.

I operated from 9 counties:   In NJ they were:   Cape  May, Cumberland,
Salem, Gloucester,
                                                                     and
Camden.

                                         In  PA they were:   Philadelphia,
Delaware, Montgomery, and
                                                                     Chester.

Conditions were fair to good for the first 5 hours of the contest and
steadily degraded from that point.

Saturday night brought a solar flare

On Sunday morning, conditions were so bad that the second day of the  test I
spent 2 hours operating stationary in some counties logging  only 10 to 15
contacts and had to "create" them by using 2 meter FM simplex,  digging out what
I could on HF which was often weak and fluttery, QSYing  stations on 20 meters
to CW or SSB, asking rag chewing stations for a quick  QSO after a diplomatic
breaking in,  and QSYing with local stations to  as many bands as possible.

I worked several local stations on everything from 80 meters all the  way up
to 2 meter FM simplex, except 6 meters.

The majority of my QSO were outside the Mid-Atlantic region on 20  meters as
very little in-region stations were being heard via short skip on  any band.

The consensus is that in-region stations were on the air but that  short skip
was all but obliterated by the solar flare.

Stations outside the Mid-Atlantic region were working us, but in-region
stations were not working each other, or at least not as easily or often as
in-region was working out-of-region, and even the out-of-region QSOs were
sometimes difficult.

All in all, a fun contest with great potential (this was only the second
year) and when I look back, the conditions made it challenging if however
difficult, hi hi.

73 to all,

73,

Tim