[3830] WPX CW NV1N(N1UR) SOAB LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun May 29 19:46:48 EDT 2005

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: NV1N
Operator(s): N1UR
Station: N1UR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: VT

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Conditions were seeming almost too good for the couple of days before this
contest.  You just knew they wouldn’t hold out.  But as luck would have it, the
conditions were really goon for Friday night and Saturday.  It wasn’t until
Sunday that the A index climbed.  But the SFI held up very nice for the whole
contest.  Still waiting for the punk conditions contest.  Haven’t seen it yet in
this cycle.

I really didn’t know what to expect from this one.  Made 2.0 Million points last
year from a different QTH.  Was hoping for 3.0 Million.  I new I would like the
score when I passed 2.0 Million at 01Z Sunday morning and passed the winning
score from 2004 (Low Power) before I went to bed for a few hours at 05Z.  Ended
up a little over 3.4 Million.  Very pleased with that.

This was the typical 40/20/15 contest for WPX CW.  15 was a nice surprise on
Saturday and even showed a little spunk Sunday afternoon before closing to EU.
20 was spectacular Saturday morning into JA.  Nice 80+ hour of JA/HL/VR2 etc at
11Z.  It didn’t repeat on Sunday although some JA sigs were still quite good
Sunday morning.

I concentrated on EU most of the time except for the JA run, a short run into SA
Sunday afternoon that netted a few nice PY and LU prefixes, and a few brief but
very productive USA mult runs.  USA participation is much less on the CW contest
that SSB.  The long weekend no-doubt has an effect.

Thunderstorms were a factor here.  Almost shutting me down a couple of times and
really crashing the static in on Saturday night.  Thankfully, I finished the
beverage antenna the week before the contest.  What a lifesaver that was.  I
used it exclusively as my receiving antenna for 40M.  Never once listened using
the beam.

Its nice when everything works like it should.  I fixed the hardline problem
that I had for WPX SSB.  Still have the freezing rotor to fix, but obviously
that is not a problem for these warm weather contests.

Had fun.  See you in IARU.

73, Ed  N1UR/NV1N

Rigs: FT-990/FT1000MP
Antennas: