[3830] WPX CW KT1V SOAB HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun May 29 21:51:17 EDT 2005

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: KT1V
Operator(s): KT1V
Station: KT1V

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:

   20: 1239

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

First, congrats to K5ZD for proving he's a mutant - amazing score. Randy, give
me another sunspot cycle of practice and a third ear and maybe I can keep up.

At Dayton several people told me they enjoyed reading my contest writeups
especially when I wrote them immediately after the contest while enjoying adult
beverages, so here goes:
I'm having a 1970 Krohn Vintage Port. It a rich mahogany color and has tastes
and smells like cinnamon, chestnuts, light brown sugar, maybe a tinge of violets
or other similar small flowers. Some red fruits too but not much - bing cherry
maybe? The bottle was so "incredibly beyond description filthy" that it came
wrapped in plastic - it apparently sat in Krohn's cellar for a good 30 years
gathering dust, fungus, and who know what else. It's putting me in an even
better mood!

I had mixed feelings doing this contest - taking two weekends away from the
family in a row (Dayton was last weekend). The XYL didn't complain too much (for
an XYL), but the 2 and 5 year old kids did. I have never experienced so much in
shack QRM in my life. The TV was often blaring through my noise canceling
speakers, my 2 year old sat in my lap a lot and fed me pretend hot and sour soup
while I was attempting SO2R, and there was endless festivities and even more
fussing. And the dog - the kids know how to make him howl like a wolf, and he
did often during this test. My 2 year old Amelia was pretty laid back as she
usually is, but my uptight 5 year old was constantly making demands and hassling
me. I yell at the kids a bit, but not as much as they yelled each other:) We're
a LOUD family.

I read last year's writeup right before the contest. I had planned to borrow a
callsign like the real big guns do for this contest but had forgotten, so I was
stuck with KT1V instead of a cool call like W1AAX or K1RX.

Had my best start ever in WPX - two 100 plus hours on 40m. 40m was good so I
barely checked 80 except for a few Qs on the second radio. 20m was basically
open to EU all night, and I had several 120+ hour spurts when 40 got boring. I
slept about 1 hour after EU sunrise.

20 and 15 opened early to EU and were hot all day. Excellent early AM opening to
JA+ netted many JA prefixes, and 15 was open *everywhere*. I worked VR2, JAs,
9M2/9M6, 9V, HS etc on 15m! I don't know or care what 10m did! Took an hour off
around 1700 to do some stuff around the house - probably shouldn't have as the
bands were poor on Sunday.

Saturday night kicked off very early. Bands were so-so, and 40m was not so hot
into EU. I tried it at 2300z but was not runnable yet - at 0000z it was. 80 was
good for a bit, but not enough activity (and too much noise) for more than 100
Qs or so. Slept about 0430-0730 and got back on around 0800. 20m was not really
open to EU. It opened late and poorly. Sunday morning basically sucked. Yes, 15
was open, but not well. Around 1500 I took off three hours. I should have
stopped earlier!!!

Finished the contest from 1800-2200, skipping the last 2 hours. 20m was pretty
good then and 15 OK. I alternating running between the 2 bands and S&Ping with
the second radio. I didn't want to stop! I almost didn't, although 38 hours
would have made me a one-man M/S. Hmmmm, that's an idea for next year!!

Whatdidiforget??

10m was useless - who cares?? I picked up a very few 2nd radio Qs.

Checked 160 once - why?? No Qs.

S9SS called me on 80 and 40. When he calls me on the lowbands I feel SMART! Even
though I know he calls the few people he can hear through his horrible QRM. I
know loud is good, but somehow I subconsciously make a "loud equals smart"
connection. Works for me!

The Beverages were not useful, except for the coffee.

I worked WC1M when I was around # 2008 and he was #2020. I thought "I'm kicking
his butt" even though the numbers showed him to be ahead. Why do I have these
thought??? I still think I probably beat Dick's modest 5 tower station :)

Lotsa big numbers out there!

Now time for another glass of "before I was licensed" wine. . . . Hmmm, if I
drink enough I'll post this verbatim to thetedrap.com and confuse all my non-ham
readers!