[3830] WPX CW P40W(W2GD) SOAB HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue May 31 08:39:01 EDT 2005

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: P40W
Operator(s): W2GD
Station: P40W

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Santa Cruz, Aruba

   40: 1064
   20:  978
   15: 1041

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Rig:  IC756ProII, TenTec Titan, 1KW   Software:  CTWIN
Antennas:  Two Towers: Force 12 5el 10 @ 76', 5el 15@ 81', 4el 20 @ 71', C4 @
61', 4 ele 40M wire beam at 55' (EU), 2 ele 40M wire beam @ 65' (USA), 3 ele 80M
wire beam (EU) at 55', 160/80 Inverted V at 70', 800' beverage (EU), 400'
beverage (US/JA)

Comments:

Special congratulations go to Al, D4B, Tom, W2SC, Randy, K5ZD, Scott, P41P/K0KQ,
Paul YV1DIG, Timo OH1NOA, Bob and Phil K3EST & KT3Y, Harry and Roman at 9Y4W,
Chris, KL9A and all the others who had great individual and team experiences in
this contest.

My last WPX CW from P40W was 6 or 7 years ago (a QRP effort)....and the increase
in overall activity since then, particularly from EU, is noteable and
impressive. This contest obviously is healthy and growing.   I'm now very glad I
made a last minute decision to make this trip ... and yes, to give Al, D4B a
little something to think about.  :-)

At this point in the sunspot cycle who would have expected such great worldwide
conditions.  EU on 10M all day Sunday, great JA opennings on 40/20/15 both days,
WOW.  It couldn't have been scripted much better.

With the predicted solar storm, decided to operate most of the first 24
hours....just in case disaster struck the second day.  In retrospect, this was
probably not exactly the right strategy from here....I should have taken a few
more hours off time the first day (live and learn).  As you can see from the
breakdown 40M was my money band...by design.  But in the final analysis, I
probably would have been better off spending more time on 20M the first and 2nd
nights and less time trying to make 10M happen both days.

Special thanks to my hosts Humphrey and Corrie for accommodating my needs, and
Pete NO2R for his continuing hardware and moral support.

Hope everyone had as much fun as I did this week.  I hope to give this another
try again next year.

73,

John W2GD/P40W