[3830] CQWW SSB VE6CNU SOSB/15 LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 1 00:32:55 EST 2005

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE6CNU
Operator(s): VE6CNU
Station: VE6CNU

Class: SOSB/15 LP
QTH: CANADA

   15:  429    24       48

Club: Alberta Clippers

Comments:

This was my first CQ WW SSB contest and I chose to enter as SOSB LP on 15M.  The
first evening I made a total of 7 QSOs, including a zero pointer from Canada!
Saturday morning I thought my rig was broken as I couldn't make a contact for
almost the first hour of listening (although there weren't many signals on the
band).  Eventually the band got better and I was able to break a few pileups
with my old Kenwood TS-530S, AT-230 antenna tuner and a newly refurbished 40
year old TH-3 MK3 at 40 feet.  I had to keep tuning my rig as I moved up and
down the band, trying to get close to 100 watts output if I was to be heard.  On
Sunday, just when I was about to give up on ever hearing Europe, a bunch of
British Isles, to Morocco came pounding in.  I was shooting for 50,000 points
and surpassed my goal.  Things are tough from Calgary as New York State is as
far away from me as Europe is to New York.  But at least the JAs came booming
through in the late afternoons and was able to make a lot of 3 pointers.

I'd like to thank Dan, VE6EX for helping me make a boom mic to attach to my
headphones and for loaning me his foot switch.  I eventually got things working
through a Rigblaster Pro into my PC and logged with N1MM.  Dan warned me about
the Daylight Savings Time to Standard Time switch and he was right.  Even though
I turned things off in Windows, N1MM still got it wrong and I had to manually
edit about 200 QSOs!  Its probably a rookie mistake as this is my first go with
N1MM - and I even got 2 points from him in the contest!

Now I'm looking forward to CQ WW CW next month and hopefully the band condx will
be a bit better!

JERRY
VE6CNU