[3830] CQWW SSB OK1RI SOSB/40 HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 1 09:59:10 EST 2005

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: OK1RI
Operator(s): OK1RI
Station: OK1RI

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: Brezina
Operating Time (hrs): ~42

   40: 2803    36      136
Total: 2803    36      136  Total Score = 857,592

I have started the contest with bad sore throat and flue I was unsuccesfully
curing during the week. But CQ is only once a year so I started. Everything went
reasonably well and after 24 hours I had 1997 Qs. But the throat was getting
worse and worse - even some poeple told me I sound horribly. I had to make a
couple of 20-40 min pauses to be able to go on during the day. In 2100Z I finaly
completely lost my voice and went QRT. Well I could stil S/P since I had F1-F4
messages prerecorded but tuning the band up and down usually ended in NOTHING
everyone was in the LOG. I made only aboput 10QSOs that way. I was than
listening with MI0LLL and first atempt was disastrous. He was happily working
W's listening on a frequency where I heard only Brodcast in something around
59+50dB ! How is it possible he had not heard that BC ? I could not believe it !
On a  second try it was better he listened on the other frequency and out of 10
QSOs I have not heard 2 stations + I could hear 3 others calling him and beeing
completely ignored. I expected I will hear less concerning the distance - well
over 1600km i.e. exactly the same like Boston to Chicago.

I missed some beverage to the USA I planed to set before the contest but the flu
did not allowed it.

I worked (quite surprisingly - in some zones) the following ZONEs:
3	4	5	14	15	16	17	24	25	32
16(??)	200	435	960	403	252	63	15(!)	196(!!)	11

I have missed zones 10 (?!?!- probably first time ever on any band
?),31,34,37.
During the second night I managed to have one whole hour with full 4 QSOs !!!
And I was on all the time !

The ZOO on 40m SSB is horrible. I feel it is getting worse and worse. Not
negligible are the SO2R operators. They are calling CQ happily long time and
nobody answers and thay are happy - they can uninterupted play on the other
band. If you call him no answer and on a second try Oh!! you are loud here
?!?!?
INTRODUCE 10 minute rule to Single OPs too and BANN SO2R - the bands are not
wide enough for it ! OK I know it is not realistic and I do write it for 3rd
consecutive years but I am 101% sure it would make the HUGE improvement to the
QRM on the bands.

Thanks everyone for QSO + 73 !

Jiri