[3830] CQWW SSB J7DM M/S HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Nov 3 19:51:34 EST 2005

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: J7DM
Operator(s): K2DM, K3ZM, AD4J, W4GKA
Station: J7DM

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Dominica

  160:  109     8       22
   80:  315    14       52
   40: 1003    22       91
   20: 1574    26       86
   15: 2087    28      100
   10:  711    14       22

Peter, Jim, Glen and I decided to head to Dominica this year.  Once again we
took nearly everything with us, including two radios, one amplifier, two TA-33
antennas, bandpass filters, computers, coax, etc.  We were very fortunate to
have been introduced in advance to Lambert Charles, J73LC by George Wagner,
K5KG.  George has operated from Dominica a number of times.  Lambert provided
invaluable assistance, including help with our licenses and delivering two tall,
freshly-cut bamboo poles to use as masts for the TA-33s.  Everything was ready
around noon on Thursday, so Lambert took us on a fascinating tour of the
island.
We were all set to start the RUN station on 20M, but the band died to the US
right around the beginning of the contest.  So we went to 40M and ran it for
most of the night.  We found that we were able to do pretty well with the
kilowatt on the run station, but the multiplier station was a challenge with
only 200 watts.  Many multipliers were simply missed, and a number of others
required a lot of calling to get through.  However, we were able to generate a
number of 200-hours with the run station.  During the 1900Z hour on Saturday we
noticed some loud stateside signals on 10M on the multiplier station, so we
switched the run station to 10M and all hell broke loose.  I was the beneficiary
of great rates with loud clear signals for quite a while before relinquishing
the chair to Jim.  Saturday night Peter and I let Jim and Glen sleep all night
while we worked the low bands.  What can I say?  Fondness for the low bands must
be in the genes.  In return, Jim and Glen took most of the work on Sunday,
putting 1500 Qs in the log.  Peter sat down for the last three hours on 20M and
made over 700 contacts before the end of the contest.  He was smoking!
This was the 4th trip to the Caribbean for my cut-down TA-33.  It seems to work
better than it has a right to.
Thanks to everyone who worked us.  QSL all contacts before, during and after the
contest to me, K2DM.